Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to test start the motor before I put it in the car. It's a 2jz-gte motor btw. How do I go about starting it? Obviously have the battery hooked up, but then what next? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I wanted to test start the motor before I put it in the car. It's a 2jz-gte motor btw. How do I go about starting it? Obviously have the battery hooked up, but then what next? Thanks.
LOL Not simple. Put it on a suitable engine stand, get the fuel system connected to a properly pressurized source, engine management system and relevent sensors all connected properly...

·
Registered
452 Posts
If it's a front clip, it would be easy. but if you're talking about just the engine itself, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Just do visual checks and compression/leak down tests

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
much easier than one would think, and since the starter bolts to the engine, that just make it all that easier.

Here you go:

1. Engine holder is not required(but would be nice), just make sure the engine is not going to wobble around easily.

2. Get a fuel pump and something to put fuel in, then run fuel line from the pump to the engine. Inline external fuel pumps are great for this. Make sure to run a fuel return as well.

3. Get battery and hook up starter motor with trigger switch of some sort, and also run wires to the fuel pump.

4. ECU - not that hard.

There are only a few places that need power for the engine to start and run just fine.

You need power to two places on the connectors that are in the car:

IJ1(9) black/orange - power to injectors
IL1(13) black/orange - turns ECU on.

Then you need power to 2 places at the connector that is near the battery:

EA2(5 or 2-shouldn't matter which) black/red - main ECU power and sensors
EA1(4) black/yellow- this is for memory and is probably not needed to run.

Hit the starter and away you go. Oh, and make sure your igniter is grounded.

·
Registered
365 Posts
lol or you could play a little jingle like the F1 team (i think it was Honda) does when they run their motors out of the car..........at least that what i would do and make sure to get it on youtube :bigok:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SuperRunner, that is very generous of you.:D

The engine is on a engine stand. I'm currently being worked on. So by end of this month, i hope, i'll have it read.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts