Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does an upgraded torque converter feels like on a bpu+++ ? especially from 1krmp to 3k rpm? does it feels and sounds like sliping clutch on a mt? does the car move the same way from 650rpm as it does with the stock converter? or is there a lag? up to xx rpm?
I will upgrade my tranny in the next weeks and I'm thinking to upgrade my torque converter too. I life in a area with many mountains and many curves too and I like to race on racing courses. do you think I will love an upgraded torque converter?

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
In normal driving, feels somewhat like a slipping transmission til about ~500rpm under the stall speed of your converter. Expect much more aggressive shifting in the higher gears, maybe even occassionally tagging the rev limiter during a downshift. If you ever tried TTC on your BPU w/ stock converter, it's kinda like that........on steroids.

-Mike

badtoy said:
how does an upgraded torque converter feels like on a bpu+++ ? especially from 1krmp to 3k rpm? does it feels and sounds like sliping clutch on a mt? does the car move the same way from 650rpm as it does with the stock converter? or is there a lag? up to xx rpm?
I will upgrade my tranny in the next weeks and I'm thinking to upgrade my torque converter too. I life in a area with many mountains and many curves too and I like to race on racing courses. do you think I will love an upgraded torque converter?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey bud,
thanks to share your experience with me.
:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome.
It's like fanning the clutch. Instant rpms and boost.
The #1 mod after going BPU on an auto-without a doubt.
Locks up like a stock converter on the highway, but will downshift with slight blip of the throttle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just drove a friends BPU++ with an SP torque converter (the higher stall one).

I'm not sure if this is just his or if it is normal, but it seems that anytime the throttle is pressed down more than 15% the rpms would shoot up to about 4000 rpm and stay there. Naturally, full throttle under about 50 or 60 mph results in wheel spin. Kind of neat, but I imagine it could get annoying over time.

I'm sure with a big turbo, this would be the ultimate setup.:p

Good luck,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts