Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting some rubber for the back and i want as much traction as possible, but the car will be driven on the streets and i want them to last at least 10 thousand miles or so.

I've been looking at Nitto NT555R drag radials but they have a rather low speed rating and are a pain in the ass to buy in Canada. BFG or M/T DR's have too short of a tread life for me.

So my question is - how much stickyness would i sacrafice by going with the BEST street tires (such as Michelin Pilot PS2, Dunlop Sport Maxx, Goodyear eagle GS-D3, etc). Judging by reviews at tirerack, all those tires have a tread life similar to Nitto's , which means (to me) that they have similar hooking ability.
What kind of launches were people able to get out of REAL street tires?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Nitto NT555R hook significantly better than all those tires you listed. Tread life has nothing to do with how well they hook. I think your logic leads to believe that shorter tread life means they are a softer compound. That is not always the case.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I liked my Nitto drag radials a lot, but now I have Falken RT-615's and they grab almost a good on the street and handle far better in all situations, plus you will get more milage out of them.

·
Old School
4,125 Posts
I had Nitto DRs, they never worked well for me compared to the BFG product.

Frankly, although it's been a while since I had them, I don't think they hook as well as my PS2s. A long burnout would give them (Nittos) an edge, but just rolling around on the street without time to prep them they never much impressed me.

·
Old School
4,125 Posts
IntheSearch said:
I had PS2s on my MZ3, no way in hell they hooked better then nitto 555.

Well, I guess we cancel each other out. (What's an MZ3?)

I still think they suck as a drag race tire, and are not enough, it any, better than a really good high performance radial to be worth having, other than the fact that they are cheap.

·
627,2rwhp on pumpgas
255 Posts
I have PS2 on my BPU+ supra and I have tractionproblems on 1st and 2nd witha almost new tires, I haven´t tried Nittoz thoe but I realy hope they have better traction (strait forward that is).

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
Nitto NT01's are supposed to be the best non-drag radial for straight line hook. I am about to buy them for the rear, my BFG KDW's suck ass.

·
got twins?
421 Posts
The Nitto's stick OK - nothing compared to the BFG dr but the advantage is that you can drive it on the street (and even carefully in the rain).

·
Registered
594 Posts
BPUad said:
I have PS2 on my BPU+ supra and I have tractionproblems on 1st and 2nd witha almost new tires, I haven´t tried Nittoz thoe but I realy hope they have better traction (strait forward that is).
I had traction problems once I went back to regular street tires, after just butting 1k on my new tires I switched back to Nittos. Traction problems are gone.

I agree the BFG hook a lot better, but last nothing compared to the nittos (this is all from my own experience with these tires).

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
I had Nitto DR's that lasted for about 7-8k miles. I hated them. I got the M/T drag radial and it is worlds difference. You will be better off finding an extra set of rear rims to mount some drag radials and you can have the best of both worlds and dont have to sacrifice traction for longevity.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've ran my car at the same track with both Nitto DR's and Goodyear GSD3's and actually had better results with the Goodyears.

Not really saying much as the times weren't fast, 11.1-11.2 @ 140-143mph with the GSD3's and a few tenths slower with the Nittos. (315-35-17)

Also, at least on my car (6-speed f-body), the Goodyears have tremendous traction on the street. On a decent road (and decent driving) I can put down nearly 900rwhp in 2nd gear on up with only minor tire spin. The nittos would black track through 3rd at that power level.

So, for a great all around tire, I would recommend the GSD3's. If you want a drag radial, I would use the M/T (but I'm also interested in trying Goodyears new DR).

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
INTMD8 said:
I've ran my car at the same track with both Nitto DR's and Goodyear GSD3's and actually had better results with the Goodyears.

Not really saying much as the times weren't fast, 11.1-11.2 @ 140-143mph with the GSD3's and a few tenths slower with the Nittos. (315-35-17)

Also, at least on my car (6-speed f-body), the Goodyears have tremendous traction on the street. On a decent road (and decent driving) I can put down nearly 900rwhp in 2nd gear on up with only minor tire spin. The nittos would black track through 3rd at that power level.

So, for a great all around tire, I would recommend the GSD3's. If you want a drag radial, I would use the M/T (but I'm also interested in trying Goodyears new DR).

Holy traction problems!! Awesome mph though. :bowdown:

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
I've had Nitto DR's, BFG's, and MT DR's.

On dry streets, nitto's are my all around favorite.
MT DR's are very nice at the track and almost as good on the street.
BFG's never had luck with.

That's my experience, take it for what it's worth.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
JamesN1830 said:
I've had Nitto DR's, BFG's, and MT DR's.

On dry streets, nitto's are my all around favorite.
MT DR's are very nice at the track and almost as good on the street.
BFG's never had luck with.

That's my experience, take it for what it's worth.

but you drive an automatic with bird poop on it so your opinion doesnt really count. :rofl:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had the micky t's and now I have the nitto DRs because of the milage difference, and the m t's hooked so much better. I was only able to get about 2000 miles out of the m t's but they were pretty much all race miles. I just bought an extra set of rear wheels for the track and run cheap shit on the street. Works well in my opinion.

·
Registered
904 Posts
No one is addressing air pressure, tire size, or the weather condition??? I have had nitto's and BFG's, The BFG's rule, but damn near killed me on a wet street. Anyway.

The nittos 18" at 17 psi on a warm day/night (65 - 90 degress )can launch really well even with limited sidewall of the 18's... I am sure 17" and 16" will just do even better. Normal driving around is at 30 psi..And yeah, I can break them loose anytime at that psi.

Some of you guys up top lets see what your air pressure and tire size was?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts