Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to get my snow tires put on the Supra, they sugested I get the car alligned at the same time. So after they were done the guy gave me a copy of the allignment chart. As you can see the allignment was pready messed up. And they did a good job fixing it. all but one part the 'right front caster' reading is still out of wack. My question is the castor on that wheel too far out of spec? Will this cause excess tire ware? The allignment is a lot better now but when I pay fifty bucks I thought they would make sure all the parameters were in spec. Should I be upset with this service? Or am I just spoilled, thinking it should have come out perfect?

B

·
0 Posts
The "after" results you show don't look all that great. The alignment shop should at least be able to get the toe and camber values the same on each side, or close to the same. Your car is a '98? Then unless it is high mileage the caster should also not be a problem to get in spec. This shop may not be capable of doing the precision job you need - try a place that specializes in Porsches or other exotics. If you can't find one on your own, try calling the Tire Rack and get a recommendation from them.

Bob
97 6-speed

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
If you happen to be near Hwd area then I could a place for you hat will set it right on the money. $60.

On second thought, if you put on snow tires..., well, you're likely faaaaaaaaaaar away from Hwd...

Let me know.

Jay :cool:

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob said:
The "after" results you show don't look all that great. The alignment shop should at least be able to get the toe and camber values the same on each side, or close to the same.
Bob
97 6-speed
Okay so you think I could do better. Should I go back and demand my money back from the first place? Or just resign my self to losing $50 and find a better place?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Definitely go back and complain... The car is easy to adjust actually, it's like having your own race car, all they have to do is turn a bolt here and there and check the reading. The most time involving part is mounting the alignment gear on the car but with stock 17" that's not hard.

Either have them redo it or get the money back, their own spec sheet says it's not correct yet...

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
You may have a mechanical problem, either from an accident or hitting a pot hole ya da ya da, which may prevent this shop from achieving spec.
I have seen many recent postings on this board that complained about shop's inability to align to spec.
One way to handle it is to talk to that shop and ask them to re-do. If they tell you that there's nothing they can do about it, strike some knd of deal with them that if another shop CAN do it, and you bring them proof to that effect, they will give you your money back.
Or you can give them hell...outright...

Jay :cool:

B

·
0 Posts
From the data you posted, they didn't change the camber on either side - I can't believe the right side couldn't be changed at all...I think the problem is that this shop just does typical "production" work and is not capable of performing a precision alignment. Supra's are much more complex than the average Ford or Honda.

As for getting a refund, you could try it but that depends on how much aggravation you a willing to go through for $50. I suppose you could make a case if you brought in a data sheet from another shop showing that the camber could indeed be set.

Bob
97 6-speed

·