Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SupraForums Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows the top speed for the stock gearing? Can it go over 200mph? I have a 98 TT 6sp, but its at the shop getting a GT72 turbo installed. I'm just wondering if i will be able to break 200mph with the added power.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I remember doing one of those top speed calculators online for fun and came up with 231mph. That is using stock wheels with 275/40/17 rears and at 7500 rpm in 6th gear with the setup in my sig.

·
Registered
391 Posts
98tts said:
yes but your a putting your life on lthe line.
For sure, I don't have a need to go that fast :faint:

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,876 Posts
a friend of mine dynoed his car and had it in 6 gear on acceident and got it to 195 before he noticed and shut it down ant 6500 rpms. he beat out a vette for the top speed on the dyno too :)

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
The gearing will, yes.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
as per the link on mkiv.com under tech articles at 7000 rpms in 6th gear, stock gearing ratios with stock wheels and tires you will be at 210mph. at 7500 you are at 225, @ 8000 rpms 240mph and 8500 rpms = 255mph.

you will need head work to rev that high though, and of course up the rev limiter.. also make sure your computer of choice has a fuel and ignition map to go that high safely... I've heard that the stock valve train can handle bursts of 8500rpms without valve float but I wouldn't trust it if the system is stock and old, you certainly don't wanna break anything at that speed.

as far as safety then you get into aerodynamics, wind direction and speed, tire and suspension conditions, etc. etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SupraTico said:
as per the link on mkiv.com under tech articles at 7000 rpms in 6th gear, stock gearing ratios with stock wheels and tires you will be at 210mph. at 7500 you are at 225, @ 8000 rpms 240mph and 8500 rpms = 255mph.

you will need head work to rev that high though, and of course up the rev limiter.. also make sure your computer of choice has a fuel and ignition map to go that high safely... I've heard that the stock valve train can handle bursts of 8500rpms without valve float but I wouldn't trust it if the system is stock and old, you certainly don't wanna break anything at that speed.

as far as safety then you get into aerodynamics, wind direction and speed, tire and suspension conditions, etc. etc.

thats just about what i was going to tell him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts