Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
wut
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to upgrade the ancient stock setup for my car so I started looking at some of the previous posts/threads in this forum for ideas.

I came across a few recommendations for Eclipse products. Now, when it comes to car audio stuff, I'm not a guru :bigthumb: Till recently I hadn't really even heard of this brand and I don't personally know anyone who uses Eclipse products.

I was checking out their site and it looks like I have my head unit choices narrowed down to the CD8455, CD8445, and the CD5435. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best of course), how do these rate with other head unit brands? Any idea on what type of price range I'll be looking at for these? I did locate an Eclipse dealer in my area and plan on stopping by.

I'll also be getting some subs in the future but right now, with the purchase of a head unit, I'll be getting new speakers for the doors and the rear. How does their stuff sound? Anyone using/heard them before?

Thanks for the help!

·
Search
3,305 Posts
There are few brands I would choose over Eclipse... very high quality stuff, especialy for the money that's in reference to head units, and screens... their audio and amps are pretty damn good as well... I'd choose other brands for speakers and amps though :)

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
If you're getting a dvd unit eclipse is excellent stuff. If you're going for just a regular HU I would suggest Alpine and then Pioneer before Eclipse. Their other products are decent, but there is better out there.

·
wut
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, it wouldn't be a DVD player, just a regular CD player.

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
red94tt said:
Yea, it wouldn't be a DVD player, just a regular CD player.
Go alpine if you want the best, go Pioneer if you want something basically as good but a bit more flashy. :)

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
It all depends on what you like and what you're looking for. If you want bling bling go Alpine if you want basic excellent electronics go eclipse. I've been doing eclipse since I was 16, I strayed away once for a Kenwood Excelon...and went right back 2 days later. They're my fav by far.

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
88supramkiii said:
It all depends on what you like and what you're looking for. If you want bling bling go Alpine if you want basic excellent electronics go eclipse. I've been doing eclipse since I was 16, I strayed away once for a Kenwood Excelon...and went right back 2 days later. They're my fav by far.

Alpine isn't bling at all... their units are very simple and very easy to operate and they don't have flashy animations (unless you get the ghost screen types). I think you're thinking of pioneer. Eclipse is good but I think you will find that the majority of people regard Alpine as the better HU maker if you're looking for a good cd/mp3 player.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
Eggy said:
Alpine isn't bling at all... their units are very simple and very easy to operate and they don't have flashy animations (unless you get the ghost screen types). I think you're thinking of pioneer. Eclipse is good but I think you will find that the majority of people regard Alpine as the better HU maker if you're looking for a good cd/mp3 player.

I'm not discounting Alpine at all, I think they are good decks. I prefer Eclipse. To each their own :)

·
Search
3,305 Posts
I like eclipse's displays better, i also like the fact the don't have detatchable faces... that's a huge plus to me. and if someone does jack it? well... no good to them, and if they try and get it unlocked, they'll get fucked(if they take it to a shop) they also have a higher voltage output

i love alpine's quality as well... i used to hate them cuz they were ugly as you cna get but the new ones are top notch :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the CD5444 and I love it. I like how it's not very flashy but still looks good. I haven't had an Alpine so I can't compare, but I will give a high recommendation for Eclipse.

·
mach chicken
1,033 Posts
Addzest... Nakamichi... Denon... Mcintosh...

Alpine... Eclipse... Clarion...

Pioneer

^HU wise way id look at things...

hell i dunno what all do you plan on doing, replaceing stock, or an old setup?

·
wut
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input so far, good stuff :)

Acrux said:
hell i dunno what all do you plan on doing, replaceing stock, or an old setup?
I'm replacing the stock setup.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Any Eclipse unit or the newer mid to upper range Alpine head units..
I run both. For ease of use, stay in the mid range of both lines.
If you don't mind twiddling, the top ends of either get ridiculous (in a good way) with features. :)

573 Posts
Both Alpine and Eclipse are top notch.. Personally I like Eclipse a little better. Simply put, superior security (Glorified paper weight if stolen), Higher voltate pre-out w/less resistance, simplistic user controls, better cd mechanism than most..

Eclipse's cd mechanisms are one of the best out there, they were built from the ground up and actually re-align themselves for every cd you put in. Meaning, laser angle, adjusts for thickness (for those who use cdr's), and most importantly.. laser intensity, this is big because there are a few of us out there who accidently scratch our cd's to hell and back. The laser adjustment allows for the laser to actually "read" through the scratches.. Other cd players typically display an error and spit out the cd.

Last, Eclipse actually stands behind their products.. I mean common, who else GIVES you 3 years warranty right out of the box, let alone the 1 year theft guarentee?

But, don't take my word for it.. Go to your local retailer that carries both and try them both out.. Find out what you like, and go ahead and bring a REALLY scratched cd and see what cd players will play them.

Justin

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
SuBTeK said:
But, don't take my word for it.. Go to your local retailer that carries both and try them both out.. Find out what you like, and go ahead and bring a REALLY scratched cd and see what cd players will play them.

Justin
Hahaha that's actually a damn good idea....

·
Who's the Master?!
4,072 Posts
Acrux said:
Addzest... Nakamichi... Denon... Mcintosh...

Alpine... Eclipse... Clarion...

Pioneer
Yeah, I agree with that, I'd put Eclipse ahead of Alpine though. I think Eclipse really stepped up their game and at this point, their SQ is better than Alpine's. That's just my IMO, I used to be an Alpine fanboy, but I'm swaying more to the Eclipse side now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
SubTek summed it up in his first post. Eclipse has superior output voltage, lower output impedence, a good solid cd mechanism, easy controls, and the best warranty. Their units that have 8v unbalanced or 16v balanced outputs are usually in very high demand. Best for the money, if you ask me.

One of the few head units I would consider better is the Denon at probably more than double the cost. I still think my old school Denon DCC9770 sounds better than anything I've demo'd in the last 10+ years. Most players use 1 bit converters now, and I don't think they accurately capture all the detail. The newer Denon's are high $, unless compared to something with video screens and Nav.

Nakamichi has had some quality issues, but if you get a good one you'll be pleased with the simple controls, and 24 bit D/A converters. I personally have no experience with the McIntosh head units, but their other gear is high quality.

If you're looking to play mostly mp3's then ignore all the posts on quality head units and go to your mass electronics retailer of choice and throw down $250 for the one with the most dancing lights and free install. But that said, eclipse has models that will play mp3's too. I just hate the degraded sound quality of many mp3's. Good luck with your choice.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
eclipe is good but i honestly would not pay retail price for them

i prefer kewood or alpine any ways .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts