Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking about selling my supra and buying a 2.5 TT supra, how hard are they to find? I have a friend with a dealer license so he can get me a supra pretty cheap from auction... Is there a quick way from the vin # to tell if supra is TT, T or N\A? Thanks for the help

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yeah too bad Im in the USA. I know they have them here in the US anybody have anymore details?

·
Moderator, megalos ntabatzis!!
4,409 Posts
you cant find a jza70 here... simply because they never made them, now u can find a 1jz-gte engine, which u will need a new tranny for and voila, almost the exact same... i dont think there any body differences! But why do u want a 2.5 tt, it definitely has less potential than a 7m!! doesnt it? i say go 2jz or dont go at all!

·
powered by
998 Posts
In japan, they prefer the 1j to the 2j. The 1j is better in every aspect over the 7m, from the head, to the oil system all the way to the ecu. A 1j will/can/has made 600+rwhp on stock internals. A 7m is lucky to make 450.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahahah

if mk4 swap 2jz for 2,5 LOL i'll go shot him myself and thank him for taking out the 2jz cause its going in my supra lam

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Toypro i know for a fact that 7m can handle more than 450 ponies on stock internals. Just my 2 cents

·
Moderator, megalos ntabatzis!!
4,409 Posts
no chance an engine with that low displacement can hadle 650+ hp with stock internals.... for cryin out loud they run 11 psi stock... if we did that we would get well near 300 hp... i think the 2jz defeats ALL, I dont think anyone can argue with that! I also think that the 7m arguably is a better engine than the 1jz! If we all had 1jz's i bet, we'de be like yo, "where can i get a 7m, it has 3 litres of displacement..."

JMO

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
now i completely disagree
the 1JZ is lightyears ahead of the 7M truck engine (if you didn't know, it WAS a truck engine)
the head is a marvel of automotive race design, and yes it CAN handle over 500RWHP on stock internals...like he said it has been done many times
there are tons of sweet upgrades are available for it (everything from HKS twin turbo turbines and manifolds to apexi power FC fuel standalone computers), it's 280HP stock, it has a 8000rpm redline and is a complete race engine DESIGNER for speed, the 7M is not, sorry to say. i heard someone say that there was a guy at one of the meets who ran 12's almost bone stock with a 1JZ-GTE
the 2JZ is simply a 1JZ on steriods (note how 1JZ-2JZ constitues a development of the same type of engine)
the 2JZ has more displacement (3.0 vs. 2.5) but has been known to be less responsive because of the longer stroke and bigger displacement. but which also means it can produce more power.

still don't believe me? ask mike urbano, i heard he's going BACK to the 1JZ from his current 2JZ setup.

·
powered by
998 Posts
SuprAng said:
no chance an engine with that low displacement can hadle 650+ hp with stock internals.... for cryin out loud they run 11 psi stock... if we did that we would get well near 300 hp... i think the 2jz defeats ALL, I dont think anyone can argue with that! I also think that the 7m arguably is a better engine than the 1jz! If we all had 1jz's i bet, we'de be like yo, "where can i get a 7m, it has 3 litres of displacement..."

JMO
No offense, but you obviously don't know much about the two engines. A guy in Flordia has dynoed 617 just a few weeks ago on a stock 1j. The head on the 1j is better than any port job could do to a 7m head. The 7m is a great motor for its time. But it is heavy, revs like a pig and without any doubt, is nothing more than an NA motor that toyota slapped a turbo on. The 1j was build from the ground up as a turbo model. There are many difference between the turbo and non turbo versions(like the 2j) Not just pistons and oil squirters. I promise you, no one in Japan would pull a 1j to swap in a 7m. The 1j is the redesigned 7m. The M series dates back to 67ish and had changed much. The 1j has a much improved oil system, which is the major drawback about buiding a hipo 7m. The 2j/1j agrument can be made, but I know of at least 1 person who swaped in a 1j, than a 2j and is now going back to a 1j. My ideal setup would be a 2j block on a 1j head, a 1.5jz, it has been done as well.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
hahah really? that sounds like the best of both worlds :)
also another advantage to a 1JZ: almost every japanese tuner makes parts for it. there's about 2x as many exhaust systems for a 1JZ as there is for a 7M...just look at some japanese catalogues

·