Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal i have a 88 turbo supra and i have eibach springs and tokico struts and i really want it on my car a.s.a.p. I want it to go up to my shop but there really bizzy.So what i want to know is how hard would it be to put all this in my car and what would i need.I have droped a shit load of hondas but i havent really looked into seeing what it will take.I could get my hands on a spring compreser so i should be good right?

please tell me as much info as you can and if you have done this befor.THANKS

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
Yup, spring compressor is a must. Other than that, just some hand tools and a hammer, and you'll be good to go. Iirc, you have to remove the upper control arms from the frame in the front to get the struts out. You might want to take the calipers loose from the brackets so that the brake lines aren't being stretched.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i've done this three, once on my car, and twice on my bro's car. both with eibach springs, and once with tokico shocks.

things you don't need to do. no need to loosen the break line, just put something under it like a jack or something. you really don't need a spring compressor, because the eibach springs are shorter than stock. just have someone press down the spring, while on the new shock, and tighten the top nut.

the front, is easy, passenger side, remove the wheel well cover on both sides. then loosen up the windshield washer bottle so you can get that long bolt out to remove the upper control arm. nothing to it really.

driver side, same thing as the passenger, but no windshield bottle.

rear of the car. you will have to remove the interior of the rear out, to get to the mount nuts. other than that its pretty easy.

·
510 Posts
Ummm.... you need the spring compressors to take the stock springs off the stock struts. Please don't do it without them, its really dangerous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
why would he want to do that, he got new springs and new struts. unless i got it wrong. you can still do it without the compressor. just lay it down on its side, in the grass, and just start removing the nut.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
why would he want to do that, he got new springs and new struts. unless i got it wrong. you can still do it without the compressor. just lay it down on its side, in the grass, and just start removing the nut.
Dude, if he's reusing the dust covers/bump stops then a compressor is a must plain and simple. If he is getting 100% new shit, then likley not needed.

·
510 Posts
Doh! lol, my bad. Was thinking just springs. I haven't installed lowering springs yet, but I've done plenty of stock replacement springs and struts. I'd still use the spring compressors, just to be safe, and make it easier to put together. As far as taking apart a stock strut without the proper tools, I'd never consider it, and never, ever recommend it. I'd rather be safe than sorry....

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
don't need the take out the entire rear interior unless you have TEMS, if you don't have TEMS just pull the speaker cover piece off...

it's not hard, but follow tightening instructions for the front upper a-arms per the TSRM...

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
Crazy... I would pay to see you do that. lol Always use spring compressors when removing the strut mount from stock springs and struts. You may not need them when you install the lowering springs and struts.

When removing the struts from the car all you need to do is unbolt the upper control arm from the cross member on the front's and disconnect the endlinks to the sway bars and remove the strut. The rears you dont have to remove the control arms.

Removing the control arm bolt on the passenger side sell seem like it wont pull all the way out but it will. Just wiggle it between behind the washer fluid bottle untill it goes all the way out or enough that you can remove the control arm.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
Damn near impossible to lower an 88..... if it were an 87 or 89 easy as but those 88's.... :nono: <jk>

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL!!

don't need the take out the entire rear interior unless you have TEMS, if you don't have TEMS just pull the speaker cover piece off...
it's not hard, but follow tightening instructions for the front upper a-arms per the TSRM...
well i do have tems but i don'r mind taking all that out

Freakin TEMS is a pain.. wish i didnt have any
why dose it make it that hard to work with.It seems good for touge:)

i can bang it out in like an hour/hour and a half its simple....jus lemme kno if u need help ive been pretty busy
thanks bro i'll hit you up if i do it at my house.

Thanks for all the help you guys and for all the great info.I've bin busting my ass workin on my car today.I workd on it from 7:30a.m.-1p.m. than i did some shit around town than i did a brake job for a friend on her Z31 and than i panited the rest of my parts and best part is i've bin up sinces 5:30 a.m. lol so i'll keep you guys posted but any other info you guys have for me keep em rolling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Removing the control arm bolt on the passenger side sell seem like it wont pull all the way out but it will. Just wiggle it between behind the washer fluid bottle untill it goes all the way out or enough that you can remove the control arm.
yes u can do it this way
thats the way i did it .. but getting the long bolt back in when u leave the washer bottle bolted tight is a right pain in the ass

it took me 30mins to do the left side, and 15mins to get the right side out

it then took me a further 2 hours to get the right side back in
1hr 45mins of this time was fucking around with that stupid long bolt trying to get it lined up properly

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
stealing my avatar FTL

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
yea i know from one of my boys! i made it so we can rock it. check myspace homie thats where the picture is but bigger

also search honda-tech for TaSe i even have it on that account too....

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
i'm just f**king with you dude, i don't give a shit lol.... i can always change it in 2 seconds

1 - 20 of 23 Posts