Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going boys and girls? i thought id share my knowledge on how i modified my factory speaker box to fit a 6" JL Audio coaxial speaker.

Luckily after 4 years of Industrial Design i'm pretty handy with fibreglass and wood but it shouldnt be hard for any Joe Blow!

Requirements:
Dremel (rotary tool), Drill, MDF, BodyFiller/Bog/Bondo (whateva you wanna call it), Fibreglass Mat, Resin & Catalyst, 5 minute epoxy, sandpaper and files.

Hopefully a few pictures will paint a thousand words because i cant be bothered typing out instructions.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers, from the land down under.
Joey G.

·
Registered
691 Posts
it looks nice but your box isnt air tight... i can see the bricks below the box in the top left and top right pics (tl- at 12 and 4 oclock, tr- on the right) holding the speakers in place is nice but with "BUTTERHOFF BOXES", the enclosure is air tight, the speker is perfectly centered and you can fit up to a 7"speaker with a 4" magnet (or larger magnet if you needed)

edit- after i posted, my slow ass computer brought up the center two pics... thats a little more like it...
how much extra room did you have left over?
is the speaker centered on the doors raised section?
how large of a magnet can you fit?

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
You crazy for doing it all before testing to see if it was even gonna work... you got the door panel back on yet?

·
Registered
691 Posts
bob... which one of us are you talking to?.. if youre talking to me i did check everything... i checked window clearance, speaker and magnet clearance, how much of the metal would have to be cut and what was behind it, and if the metal panel of the box would clear the door panel and crossmember... after checking everything i knew that everything would fit with VERY LITTLE modification ( trim a 3" across, 3/4" high cresent of metal from the crossmember and squeeze in a 2" section of the sheetmetal crossmember about 1/8")

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speaker position is closer to the center of the original 4-inch grill holes. I didnt wanna make it too high and block half the sound coming out.

The door trim fits on a little tight, i think the bottom corner of the speaker is maybe touching the back of the grill but it doesnt affect the speaker in anyway. I also cut the plastic posts of the speaker grills just incase, they stick out too far.

My JL speakers have a mounting depth of 59mm, the overall depth at the back isnt much more than the original overall depth of the stock box, it just has more area to allow for a bigger magnet. Oh and i was still able to fit that cloth rubbish that was in there too.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i went with the factory boxes on mine too... my 6.5" focals mounting depth was 2 3/4" with a 3.8" magnet... to be able to get the speaker centered on the door hump i had to cut out some of the top of the box so i could shift the speaker up and left... as i stated before, going off what i found you could fit a 7" speaker, with a magnet well over 4" and have a mounting depth of a little over 3"... ofcoarse you do see about 3/8 an inch of the mounting tube and you have to use your new speakers grills...

J

·
0 Posts
Looks nice. I wish it were that easy on my Mk3. :) I'm still working on that problem...

·
Registered
341 Posts
make sure you have enough clearance on the back side of the speaker for the power windows to roll up and down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts