Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going boys and girls? i thought id share my knowledge on how i modified my factory speaker box to fit a 6" JL Audio coaxial speaker.

Luckily after 4 years of Industrial Design i'm pretty handy with fibreglass and wood but it shouldnt be hard for any Joe Blow!

Requirements:
Dremel (rotary tool), Drill, MDF, BodyFiller/Bog/Bondo (whateva you wanna call it), Fibreglass Mat, Resin & Catalyst, 5 minute epoxy, sandpaper and files.

Hopefully a few pictures will paint a thousand words because i cant be bothered typing out instructions.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers, from the land down under.
Joey G.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The speaker position is closer to the center of the original 4-inch grill holes. I didnt wanna make it too high and block half the sound coming out.

The door trim fits on a little tight, i think the bottom corner of the speaker is maybe touching the back of the grill but it doesnt affect the speaker in anyway. I also cut the plastic posts of the speaker grills just incase, they stick out too far.

My JL speakers have a mounting depth of 59mm, the overall depth at the back isnt much more than the original overall depth of the stock box, it just has more area to allow for a bigger magnet. Oh and i was still able to fit that cloth rubbish that was in there too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.