Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i hear people saying that they need to get stiffer suspension when they run high power (eg big single) to prevent wheel hop/spin - is this true or can the stock suspension cope just fine - assuming here that we are talking about street use

i get the impression that a stiff suspension is only really need for faster cornering rather than for straight line street racing - it this true?

when i say straight line i mean if you floor a single turbo supe with a stock suspension will it be going sideways all over the place ? - ie hard to keep going in a straight line (and therefore dangerous on the street).

i'm already going sideways a bit already + some minor wheel hop, but it's more of a slight fishtail and i never feel like the car is going to get out of control.

reason i ask is i have stiff coil overs and am considering getting something softer, but i don't want to do this if it means when i go big single i have to swap back to the stiff suspension to handle the power. i don't speed round corners [a sure way to die young] so i'm more interested in straight line control.

looking at some of the drag racing vids the rear end on some of the high power supes squat quite a bit which makes me think they are still on stock suspension.

so what do ya all reckon: stock can handle hi power in a straight line with control or not? / stiff suspension only any good in turns true or false?

thanks in advance

·
Chillen at the Holidae In
254 Posts
I would say it is something important but it would not be needed if you were not going to a track to do the 1/4 mile. As long as you can drive you should be able to keep it on the road. It will help you out if you are running a stiffer suspension.

Steve

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Softer suspension is better for drag racing, not the other way around. Softer springs allow the car to squat more and take off better. If I were you though I would try some stickier tires and stay with the coilovers. It would be a shame to ditch the sweet suspension setup for that little bit of extra wheelspin its probably giving you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Soft suspension is ultimatly best for drag racing but I like a stiffer setup for a daily driver.

-Destin

·
Chillen at the Holidae In
254 Posts
Whoops they are right i must have been thinking about something else while typing. Sorry listen to them but definatly try tires. That will also help out alot.

Steve

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Stock suspension is your best bet for drag racing.

Personnally though, I would never switch back from coilovers. They may not be as good for drag, but for overall driving, they make a world of difference.

K

·
0 Posts
jasonlee said:
i hear people saying that they need to get stiffer suspension when they run high power (eg big single) to prevent wheel hop/spin - is this true or can the stock suspension cope just fine - assuming here that we are talking about street use

i get the impression that a stiff suspension is only really need for faster cornering rather than for straight line street racing - it this true?

when i say straight line i mean if you floor a single turbo supe with a stock suspension will it be going sideways all over the place ? - ie hard to keep going in a straight line (and therefore dangerous on the street).

i'm already going sideways a bit already + some minor wheel hop, but it's more of a slight fishtail and i never feel like the car is going to get out of control.

reason i ask is i have stiff coil overs and am considering getting something softer, but i don't want to do this if it means when i go big single i have to swap back to the stiff suspension to handle the power. i don't speed round corners [a sure way to die young] so i'm more interested in straight line control.

looking at some of the drag racing vids the rear end on some of the high power supes squat quite a bit which makes me think they are still on stock suspension.

so what do ya all reckon: stock can handle hi power in a straight line with control or not? / stiff suspension only any good in turns true or false?

thanks in advance
i switched oner to the hks drag suspension and i couldn't be happier. I do a lot of 1/4 mile runs and i found that the old suspension would go up down too much, when shifting down the track. Now after she squats off the line she stays squatted until i reach the end. No more wheel spin or chirps when shifting , she stays on the ground for traction much better to me. Of coarse this is just my opinion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts