1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What gasket could be failing?
Where is it located?
How do I replace it?
Last, what options do I have for replacement?

·
Registered
86 Toyota Supra N/A
28 Posts
Well Toyota still makes OEM new seals for the Mk3. I just recently replaced my rear hatch seal and that seemed to do the trick.

Just search up Mk3 Supras rear hatch seals and it should come up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
After I bought my 87 Supra, I also had water accumulating in the trunk and rear fender wells.
The car had pretty bad leaks; it's been awhile but I think these are what I did to fix the leaks:
1. replace rear tail light gaskets
2. remove rear quarter windows and re-seal - I used 3M Window Weld Ribbon Sealer (round bead 3/8"x15')
3. remove hatch trim (very carefully so not to break old plastic clips, clean the surface around hatch window outer edges and silicone seal all around - I used Permatex clear RTV silicone
4. the lower part of hatch has holes to bolt and locate the bottom trim, check and silicon seal around the holes
5. remove the rear spoiler, checked the rubber gaskets to make sure they are in good shape. I added RTV silicone around the mounting holes just in case.

I think most tips/guides I used came from this forum.

·
Registered
Main = 1989 7MGE Ice Blue Pearl, Parts Car 1989 7MGTE Super Red
19 Posts
I had this same issue. Changed tail light gaskets didnt fix it for me. Ended up on my car the top of one of the tail lights were not sealed all the way together. Looked to be caused from old age. Did a few passes of black silicone and have never had an issue since. I would check and see if tail light are still getting water in them even after changing the seals. If if not it will be one of the other things people have listed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My mk3 supra is doing the same thing and if your doors are closed and the windows rolled up and the trunk open if you close the trunk and the glass in the trunk hatch lifts up that might be the issue since the clips that hold the metal borders around the glass tend to break and the lower ones is where the water will collect due to gravity and the bolts to those clips have nuts on the inside of that plastic piece on the inside of your hatch, I would try removing the nuts from the bolts and place O rings on the outside where the bolt goes in to the hatch and one between the bolt and the nut see it that helps and there is also 2 plastic clips that pop in to a grommet on the far driver and far passenger sides make sure the grommet isn't worn through. the green clips are what I 3d printed to attempt to make replacements but they didn't last very long so Im going to get a shop to reseal the window and install a window gasket around the outside bordering the glass.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
497 Posts
Besides the tail lights gaskets, the bottom rear window trim is a culprit as listed above. I replaced all mine, but short of doing that I would make sure there is a sealing bead of trim sealer at the very least along the bottom trim piece. You can also remove the inside plastic on the hatch, unscrew the bottom trim and seal the bolts that come through.

Other than that, do you have a targa or sunroof that might have drain hoses that empty out into the back?

·
Registered
95 Posts
We all have this problem to some extent but you really have it. One thing I recommend you do is put a plastic baggie over the taillight lamp module (blue box in your case, sometimes they are yellow) and bolt it back on. If water gets inside, it messes up taillight function and the error light on the dash. I leave the rubber plug under the spare tire slightly ajar to let any water drain out. Otherwise, you'll have a swimming pool under the tire leading to rust. I have replaced the rear hatch gasket and taillight gaskets but the water keeps seeping in. It's probably as others have said the rear hatch glass and or side windows need re-caulking. It could possibly be done from the inside without glass removal. You would just have to be careful not to make a big mess of it so its not visible after the trim is replaced. Something like DAP quick seal ultra and a caulking gun. click, click. Permatex ultra black silicone in places where it's hard to conceal, since the other is white. Believe it or not the rear hatch gasket lifts off easily. Check for rust outs along the welded seam. I had to fix a couple holes above a taillight with JB weld.

·
Registered
6 Posts

What gasket could be failing?
Where is it located?
How do I replace it?
Last, what options do I have for replacement?
The rear side marker lights is one area that leaked badly on my '88. Removed, cleaned and applied a film of clear RTV and that stopped those two leaks. The Toyota shop stated that the rear side glass gaskets are leaking but I don't have water down in the fender wells so I'm not buying into that. I tried to get two auto glass shops to pull the hatch glass and reseal but neither one would do it because there is no replacement glass, clips, etc., available. Never leaks going through the brush type car wash ( a no-no I know but the car needs a repaint so for now I'm OK with doing it). Doesn't leak when I run water from a garden hose over the rear of the car. It only sometimes leaks during a rain and then it is usually one side or the other, not both. Since I'm out of garage bays I'll be keeping it covered with a premium car cover when it cames back from the paint shop.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I believe my 88 leaked from the base of the rear window, as I would find collected water on the inside of the panel that's covering the rear wiper motor and assorted wiring. That car is 13 years gone now, so my memory is like a bit fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure that's where it was coming from.

Makes me wish all those little pieces were still available these days, since they tend to be fragile when pulling things apart...

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
497 Posts
^^ The base of the window and the tail lights are the two main culprits. Other avenues would be power antenna opening, window seals.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Other avenues would be power antenna opening, window seals.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the power antenna. My car was leaking there as well; it looked like the antenna plastic/rubber were still the original parts and not looking so good so sealed the opening with silicone.

·
THE LAST NA
1,322 Posts
Hatch glass seal.......I always get two piss streams coming out the corners of the shroud when I open the trunk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts