Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a 1996 Supra TT with 56K miles, and was wondering how long the stock turbos typically last - assuming "moderate" (not very aggressive) driving on a bone stock car.

I've been told the stock turbos go ~70K miles, but then there are many Supras that have over 110K miles on them without any problems.

I know it's probably hard to say how long they'll last given the variances in everyone's driving styles (as well as how their car is modded), but any anecdotal figures would be great.

Thanks a lot.

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
asdf

change oil every 3k miles..put turbos in ttc mode...dont boost over say 18 but less would be better...should last a long time

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sonik -

What's TTC mode?

I plan to keep the car completely stock (except for a turbo timer) for a good while, so I definitely won't go over 18 psi.

Under the conditions you mentioned, the stock turbos should definitely last longer than 70K miles, right?

BTW, nice yellow. Probably a dumb question, but that color wasn't offered from the factory, was it?

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
TTC os true twin conversion..instead of having the car in sequential..where one turbo spools first then the second one comes on which is bad on the second turbo because of the force that it endures when it comes online..TTC makes them both spool at the same time..go to mkiv.com and go to tech articles..then hit control+f and type in ttc and hit enter...custom paint

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I am indeed buying an auto.

I was reading the MKIV.com document regarding TTC, and it explicitly mentions that turbo lag in TTC mode would be negligible on 6-speeds equipped with a downpipe, but made no mention of autos.

So, I was wondering the same thing - would putting the turbos in TTC mode on an auto result in significant turbo lag?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeff M -

What if I were to get a downpipe? Then would TTC be better for the longevity of the turbos?

What I'm getting at is...I'm mainly interested in getting the longest life possible out of the stock turbos. I do plan to modify the car eventually, but not for a while (due to lack of funds). But, if I could significantly increase turbo life by going to TTC mode and adding a downpipe, that would be fine.

On the other hand, if I could just stay with stock everything and still have the turbos last a long time (say over 100K miles?), that would be fine as well.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
It doesn't take long at all now. Been BPU+ for about 8,000mi and I just blew them about 30minutes ago. Time for single hehehe.

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
I beg to differ.....i guess it all depends on previous owner , car in general etc etc. But 56K is nothing in my opinion. I bought my TT almost 3 years ago with 48k....and the guy autocrossed it a good bit....since i bought it it has been bpu and +++++ and i have almost 88 K on car now...so added 30k on them. I have raced them at 1/4 mile track since i bought car...running 11s.. Been down track probably 100 times if not more. Been running 18-24 psi pretty much all the time, and if not wide open wastegate...and mine are still fine. I am sure they will eventually get to point where they will wear out..but i cant complain to get 90k on maxed boost all time. i mean i dont drive wot all time.but pretty much any and every time i get on it i am wide open wastegate if not high boost on ebc. So i think it comes down to changing oil often!!! and just letting them cool and previous owner as well....but mine have been through hell and still strong at 88k on them..so i would not worry and dont get idea that second you go over 18 psi they will blow...lol You shoudl be fine.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sorry guys jump to conclusion. I checked some intercooler hoses and found my problem. I'm going through the whole system tomorrow to double check. Turbos are O.K. as of now. I was really hoping to go single, damn.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
they last pretty long. I've trashed on mine for a while now. not too many miles but hard miles. Slamming over 100 mph multiple times a day hitting 18.8psi each time sustaining. anything over 19psi it just stutters. I have a friend too that hits around 22-25 psi. he's been doing that for at least 10k miles.

car now has 58k miles. And don't stay stock!!! At least get a downpipe!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How will the car feel when the turbos blow....

Also, I just got my TT auto and I plan on doing the total basic BPU.. meaning intake, dp, exhaust, cat, maybe afc and avcr... thats it....

whats an estimate on the tt's... and also.. is there real way to check to find out the condiition they are in witout tearing them out...

Thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
How will the car feel when the turbos blow....

The infamous death whine will occur.(not always)
no transition to number 2 on acceleration
reduced boost seen on gauge( number 1 will still function)
smoke out the exhaust pipe
increased oil consumption
oil in the IC hoses

it is not subtle......

No you can not tell condtion without pulling them
aprice of new toyota turbos 2200 each
installation at a dealer 1000 labor
200 parts

price of used turbos ~ 500 for two I recomennd befor installing them you get them reconditioned ~ 325( controversial)
installation at local mechanic 300 parts with discount 117.
or diy.

Price of inexpensive single 3800-4000 plus installation( above for PHR street single or SP 57 kit

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay.. intersteing prices... now I have a "Bumper to bumper" warranty on my car via the dealership I bought it from..

It specifically says that it covers turbochargers... now if I put on intake, db, and exhaust... will they bitch...??

They said "We will have to prove / show you that the modification cuased the particular problem... if we cannot show you this, then it is our responsiblity."

How correct is that?

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
SpdRcr0...........if you ever have problems....DEFINITELY 100% take off all modifications you have done to the car. Even put back in stock spark plugs...no joke. It all depends on your toyota dealer i guess...but if you go in there with say blown turbos...that is a pretty big hit for them list price.so they will argue all they can. Trust me on this one..i got screwed on RX7 that blew coolant seal .thus blown engine..had full warranty......no mods were done to car..but they denied my claim due to the fact i had a cat back exhaust..which was on car when i bought it. .Trust me you cant win...most i could get back after court was full price of warranty i paid. So take the time and effort to take all mods you have on car off before you ever go in for any kind of claim. That way you are assured you are all set. Just my .02. And my warranty had thay same phrase in it too...:eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep.. thats what Im scared of... well with bolt on stuff.. It wil be easier to remove themm.. thats why I dont want to get big on the BPU's

basic bpu's - intake, dp, exhaust should be no problem right?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please explain about "your friends" what you mean

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
update

I actually did blow my 2nd turbo!!! You can hear the death wine as soon as 2nd turbo comes online. Single turbo searching. T78 maybe hehehe....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts