Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many years have u been invloved in the Supra lifestyle!? If u have been part of it for a long time, did u ever think u would fall this deep into it? do u see urself withdrawing more from the Supra scene? or getting even more into it!?

lets hear what some fellow MKIII owners have to say about this!

I'm approaching year number 5! Seem's like only yesterday though! :cool: The passion is still there! not as strong as the first few years! but once u hit that point of satisfaction, Plateau-like,(where im currently at) everything levels off and there is no need to plan huge lists of mods for the car anymore. u have reached ur goals! :cool:

Rank-wise, are u a:

1) Havnt bought the car yet but want to
2) Noob
3) Semi-getting it
4) Amatuer
5) Always under the car
6) Boderline Suicide
7) Plateau
8) Peek
9) Gandalf
10) Get sick when u hear the word "Supra"

im a bit of all of those in a freaky way! :freak:

anyway... all of u, spill it! :beerchug:

This pic was taken early last year in SoCal when all of us were pretty much bone stock! from left to right...
Crazy Dave was stock, now is well over 400RWHP
Lekanna was NA, now she is 1J
Dominic was close to stock, is now well into the 300RWHP range with extra goodies
John Carnes was stock, and still friggin is :lol:
And Me... well... u guys should all know my Supra life stories by now! ;) that was the old 87! (RIP)

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Started off in February or March 2001 when I first took delivery of my Cressida; since the Cressida had no representation on the Web but had a close mechanical brother in the Supra, I kind of moseyed on over to SOGI, the mailing list, and the like. Came over to SupraForums when I remembered an SCC article on car web sites and Supraforums was in it. Been hooked since. Now that the Cressida is gone and I have a proper Supra, I guess I can say that I am now finally a genuine member.
My experience goes as far as an auto-manual swap sitting in my ass on ice in winter and a successful blown head gasket repair in a parking lot during this same winter. I was sliding around in front of the car, snow turned into ice under the pressure of my footsteps.

I don't know where I go as far as experience, because I have never had the chance to rebuild a motor or transmission (dont have the facilities, remember, my garage is a parking lot where police come by and hassle you. Once 20 of them surrounded me because somebody reported that I was breaking into cars. One of em pulled out his gun, assumed his stance, and yelled an Academy-perfect "Freeze!" while a 9mm bullet was aimed at my chest.

I've been through Hell. As such I won't rate myself with your 1-10 scale.

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sound like a #5 to me Thermy! of course with a gun drawn! :p :uzi:

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
started 2k1 in march when i picked up my first 89T. had 174k miles, and it was love at first site. drove it for about a year, when i decided to do a 1j swap. worst move i ever made, and i never drove the car again up until ditching the project about a month ago. picked up an 87T to daily the beginning of summer 2k3. drove that somewhat rarely. will sell as soon as i pick up another car. i guess you could say i've been in the game about 2.5 years, and now i'm quite sick of it.

-J

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
SupraNick said:
sound like a #5 to me Thermy! of course with a gun drawn! :p :uzi:
Actually borderline suicide was right when the manual transmission swap had turned into a bitter stalemate. Take it for what you would :p

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
04/1997 bought my first 87t for $4000 --very clean ex canadian car (240,000 km's)
07/1998 sold it for $3500 (260,000 km's and bhg)
08/1998 bought 91 NA mr2 $8000 --overpaid but very clean (58.000 miles)
08/2001 bought current 87t $4000 -overpaid but hardtop turbo w/low miles (68,000 miles)

Currently at 130,000 miles on the mr2, and 85,000 on the supra. You can tell the Supra's were broken a lot as they didn't rack up the miles quite like the mr2 (which has basically been back-up car for the last two years)

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
about 4 years now.. 3 summers of 13+ grand each summer... I have -10000 in the bank to show for my car :(

I am now at the point where I dont like working on my car anymore until i'm out there working on here.. but getting the drive to get out there is getting less and less.... lol

My fingers and hands show why... :/

I drove 22 hr to make it to NJ.. I'd say i'm well 10) Get sick when u hear the word "Supra"

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
I started reading up on Supra's around October 2001. I sold my 87 RX7 and bought my first Supra, an 87 Blue Metallic Mica Turbo. (I think thats the name of the paint??) Hm, i guess you could say im kind of new to the game. But even though i am new, that doesnt mean that i can't be sick of hearing the word "Supra."

Edit - Zazz summed it up nicely for me...

ZaZZn said:
I am now at the point where I dont like working on my car anymore until i'm out there working on here.. but getting the drive to get out there is getting less and less.... lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've owned my car since 96, and I've bought a few things, like an exhaust, intake and wires. Completed my first head gasket this past summer. I also painted my front and rear bumpers this summer. I made a speaker encloser for the trunk a long time ago and installed a pretty nice little stero system. To bad the box takes up all of my trunk, but hell I must have good tunes. But money is the only thing holding me back from upping the ante on the power. I've been coming to the board here for about a year and a half now and just trying to soak up some of the knowledge of the "elders". There's alot to learn about the car, turbos, and electronics. I still love to drive my car and its my daily driver.

Jeremy

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had my supra for over 4 and a half years now. We've been through alot....a paint job...a bhg....and numerous other repairs...right now I am in the middle of a complete engine rebuild. I am looking forward to many more years with my supra!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think I am getting pretty close to #6...thought about getting rid of it but the damn thing seems to be attached to me

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
I fall under the wanting to buy a car......sold my pigs and now waiting for the perfect donor to go under the knife

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I purchased mine in August 2003 and so far had the engine rebuilt and put on an intake and exhaust and then I found the forums and realized oh shit I wasted all this money on an automatic, n/a supra! now I'm in the works for doing a gte swap. I dont know where I fit in the catagory but I know I have learned more about this car in 3 months than any other car I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
1) Havnt bought the car yet but want to :( :rolleyes: ;)

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Got the car bone stock back in June of 00. I, like DrJ, had no idea what I was getting into. I started with SupraSport in July/August of 01 and left in November of 02. Then, by the grace of God, I was offered the job here @ MVP. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would have a 500hp car and be working for a company like this.

But I will tell you this. I also never thought that something like a car would have changed my life in the way that it has. It's kept me away from some of the worse temptations in life and kept my mind on just working on the car and building it up further. I also never thought I would have relocated my entire life 300 miles away to Ft. Worth to work with Supras 100% of my day. The bloody knuckles and broken ribs hurt, but the gratification and satisfaction far outweigh the pain.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
January 1997 I bought my first Supra. Dumped all my old friends and now 99% of my friends are Supra or car related. Guess the old friends just couldn't take me talking about Supras all the time ;) I'm still a Supra freak, but I have slacked off a little bit since I first got into the hobby.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts