·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also what is the simple procedure. Thanks,

Zach

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
Takes 10-15 minutes once you know what you're doing. Undo the 2 hoses across the valve cover, unplug the coil harness clips (6), undo the 10mm bolts holding the coil packs on (6), pull the coil packs off, take plugs out... gap new plugs and just reverse the order......

·
259 Posts
Euphoric said:
Takes 10-15 minutes once you know what you're doing. Undo the 2 hoses across the valve cover, unplug the coil harness clips (6), undo the 10mm bolts holding the coil packs on (6), pull the coil packs off, take plugs out... gap new plugs and just reverse the order......
You really dont need to remove the two hoses that run across the coil packs. You also dont need to remove the coil pack holders. Simply use a phillips head and remove the two screws that hold each individual coil pack down. Then use a long extension and remove the plugs and replace. Much quicker than removing the WHOLE coil pack/holders.

:)

Jeff M

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Jeff, i was wondering if since this is the first time i would change my spark plugs in my supra if i should do the longer process that Euphoric said since i don't know anything, or is your way still easier to do for someone who doesn't know anything, like me. Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
207 Posts
Brittany said:
Those screws strip VERY easily

The most fool proof way is to remove the hoses and the coil packs by the 10mm bolts

Brittany
Yep, the previous owner of my car stripped the screws on 3 of the coil packs. It was a bit$h to remove them when I put new coil packs in.

I follow the same procedure that Euphoric outlined.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to remove the screws until I realized that removing 6 bolts is easier and quicker than 12 screws(which I stripped entirely a couple of times).

It is really a 45-60 minute job if you are taking your time.

Reed

·
259 Posts
I just use an elctric screwdrive to remove the screws. I have only stripped on screw. Easy to replace. I just find it easier to remove the screws. To each his own!! :D

Jeff M

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
careful with the screw..and dont drop anyting into the engine while the plug is out.
I can do all 6 plugs withint 10min. I am quick! :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
sleeper said:

Yep, the previous owner of my car stripped the screws on 3 of the coil packs. It was a bit$h to remove them when I put new coil packs in.
Just to make sure that the screws don't get stripped again. I replaced the philips screws with the equivalent hex cap screws plus a dab of anti-seize compound.

·
Registered
255 Posts
sleeper said:

Just to make sure that the screws don't get stripped again. I replaced the philips screws with the equivalent hex cap screws plus a dab of anti-seize compound.

How did you know which ones to buy? I have like 4 stripped screws in there and need to replace them. Toyota was having trouble figuring out which ones they were, didn't seem to be listed on their schematic.

·
Registered
207 Posts
mervinnn said:

How did you know which ones to buy? I have like 4 stripped screws in there and need to replace them. Toyota was having trouble figuring out which ones they were, didn't seem to be listed on their schematic.
I brought the plate that holds the 2 coil packs with me to the hardware store. I don't recall the size of the metric hex caps right now. I might still have the empty plastic bags for the cap screws. I'll check when I get home and post the size.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any hardware store would do. Bring a stripped screw with you to compare threads, press threads on old screw against the threads on new screw, and if they fall evenly into each others grooves, you're all set. You can judge the diameter by just looking at them. You can also bring a coilpack with you, and test it on the spot. Get sturdy screws this time, none of that soft brass shit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
sleeper that would be great if you could do that. Monster, thanks for the tips. Between what you two have said I should be able to clear this up. That's a good idea to just bring the coil pack/bracket with me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
mervinnn said:
sleeper that would be great if you could do that. Monster, thanks for the tips. Between what you two have said I should be able to clear this up. That's a good idea to just bring the coil pack/bracket with me.
The metric socket head cap screws that I used are M5X12 pitch 0.8, I also put in a washer and with that, the length of of the screw is just flush with the bottom of the coil pack bracket. Just get the next longer size screw if you are uncomfortable with that lenght and as MONSTER said overlay the treads of the old screw with the new screw for final verification.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sleeper, thanks for getting back to me. What the hell do those #'s correspond to? I have no idea about how screw sizes work! :)

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
another suggestion -
when you get the coil packs off, BEFORE you take the plugs out.....
get a blower and blow out around the plugs. all kinds of crap can get down there. I look real close and use some long tweezer-like things to pull anything out down around the plus, as well - don't want that to fall down in the cylinder!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
mervinnn said:
Sleeper, thanks for getting back to me. What the hell do those #'s correspond to? I have no idea about how screw sizes work! :)
M5= 5 millimeter in diameter
12= 12 millimeter in length
pitch= number of threads per millimeter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts