Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted to get a bike,but I cant afford getting both.Even a beater car since costs here are very high,insurance,fuel and such.

Point of this thread is to know if any of you actualy get along without a car.I mean isnt it a bitch at hot\rainy days to come soaking wet from rain or your sweat?

Not being able to carry more then a backpack and all the other drawbacks of a bike.

Most own a beater car too or just have no need for some of the things a bike cant deliver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
umm..if a bike is your only means of transportation...youre an idiot. a bike should be considered a "luxury" item...or a "toy".
 

·
Pimp of Centralia
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
dirtylude said:
umm..if a bike is your only means of transportation...youre an idiot. a bike should be considered a "luxury" item...or a "toy".
i wouldn't go all out and call him an idiot... in other countries alot of people have motorcycles as primary means of transportation... only in a rich country such as the united states do people have "toys" or "luxury"

.........

to the original poster... its going to be a differnet world from the reponses you will get.. in the US which the board primarly is.. 90% of people buy bikes for recreation.. not for transportation..

growing up in jamaica i have seen that 90% of people had a bike and only a bike.. it was their primary means of transporation
 

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
Joined
·
1,847 Posts
i have my bike as my "toy" and my supra as my daily driver. However, i'm selling my bike now because it's oh so ever inconvienient and insurance rates are just stupid. So i'm buying a truck for a daily and then moving my supra as the new "toy".

Definetly don't buy a bike if you need it for everyday means of transportation. I only use my bike when i'm bored or if i'm just going to work. Going out, i hardly ride it because you never know what's going to happen or if people need lifts (ie: hot babe). Doing everyday errands on a bike is not impossible, but it is most definetly a PITA.

My advice, wait until you're 25 to get a bike. Don't make the mistake i did and get one at 19 because it just isn't worth it. Wait until you have money and then have some serious fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
derK said:
i have my bike as my "toy" and my supra as my daily driver. However, i'm selling my bike now because it's oh so ever inconvienient and insurance rates are just stupid. So i'm buying a truck for a daily and then moving my supra as the new "toy".

Definetly don't buy a bike if you need it for everyday means of transportation. I only use my bike when i'm bored or if i'm just going to work. Going out, i hardly ride it because you never know what's going to happen or if people need lifts (ie: hot babe). Doing everyday errands on a bike is not impossible, but it is most definetly a PITA.

My advice, wait until you're 25 to get a bike. Don't make the mistake i did and get one at 19 because it just isn't worth it. Wait until you have money and then have some serious fun.
First of all this is your prime example of a fair weather rider :gaysex: ...if this sounds like you(the original poster) then listen to his advice...

Just know that there are MANY of us who ride for real and log astounding amounts of miles FAST...

My Supe's been down for about 2 months now...and I'm doin' fine, I take maybe 1 or 2 rides from the gf now and again.(no not because of rain)

I have a set of saddlebags, a camelbak, and a backpack...that'll hold ALOT of shit.

The fact that I never know what's gonna happen in a day is one of the main reasons I ride instead of taking the Supra.

Hot chick needs a ride...are you kidding me?! :rolleyes:

Insurance??: DON'T GET A GIXXER 1K!!!

Everyone told me to wait for a street bike since i was 16(i had about 12 yrs. exp. then on dirt)...I did until about 2 yrs. ago(i'm 21)...and I'm PISSED I missed out on those years of riding.

-Steve
 

·
Formerly NA-TT
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
I have a bike and car. I have never been one to taking friends along in a big ol SUV or anything, so 2+2 or two seater sports cars are all that I have had. At this point, I only ever use my car to pick up groceries and if it is raining, but I have driven my bike in the rain. Once I move in with my roomates I won't need a car to just get groceries, so I'll sell the car; just ride with them to get groceries.
 
G

·
R32 GTR and ZX-636R.

ohadohad2 - don't you get 3 year 0% interest deals from bike companies over there? I.e. £1500 up front and £150/month for 36 months?
 

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
Joined
·
1,847 Posts
just face the fact that a bike IS a toy. Unless you have a cruiser/touring bike. Reality is it's a PITA to use a bike everyday. Believe me, i LOVE my bike and i LOVE riding but it just isn't practical. Who likes to haul gear everywhere?? who loves to sweat buckets when riding to a nice dinner?? who likes to haul an extra helmet when you need to pick someone up?? if you have a nice shirt underneath your jacket it'll get wrinkled and/or drenched with sweat.....riding to school with 2 binders and 2 textbooks in your backpack is uncomfortable, PLUS you have to carry around your gear....if you want to get groceries you have to limit your purchases even with saddle and tank bags...

the ONLY advantage i can see by having a bike is that they are stupid fast and loads of fun.....IE: A TOY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
derK said:
just face the fact that a bike IS a toy. Unless you have a cruiser/touring bike. Reality is it's a PITA to use a bike everyday. Believe me, i LOVE my bike and i LOVE riding but it just isn't practical. Who likes to haul gear everywhere?? who loves to sweat buckets when riding to a nice dinner?? who likes to haul an extra helmet when you need to pick someone up?? if you have a nice shirt underneath your jacket it'll get wrinkled and/or drenched with sweat.....riding to school with 2 binders and 2 textbooks in your backpack is uncomfortable, PLUS you have to carry around your gear....if you want to get groceries you have to limit your purchases even with saddle and tank bags...

the ONLY advantage i can see by having a bike is that they are stupid fast and loads of fun.....IE: A TOY!
Either I'm not a sweaty guy, or I own the right gear for the right situation... :1poke:

A "nice" shirt usually is fine for me, although I could just fold it up and throw it on when I park.

Everyday to and from school w/ ~50 lbs. of books + the other stuff, not too bad...

I don't need THAT much from the store at once...or I'll take 2 trips.(OK...1 inconvenience) :rolleyes:

I could list thousands of advantages of commuting on a bike...
It takes me about 12 min., instead of about 40 min. to get to school...and costs under half the gas of my Supe... :sadance:

While I do see your side, you can't tell me(or anyone who commutes) that it can't be done, 'cause we do it everyday...w/ a huge smile on our faces as we stand in the express isle w/ a helmet in our cart. :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First I would like to thanks all for replying.Now let me explain a few things:

1.I own only a car,if anyone understood the oposite it must be my shity grammer.

2.Yes we can get payments here but let me give you a few numbers and you will understand how its not that realistic:

A new 1KGSXR costs around 25K$ here,if the bank will even give a loan for a bike (doubt it,they give for cars but dont like giving them for bikes) its around 5% intrest for 4 year loan.WIth payments of around 500$/month. But the salarys here are alot lower then at the US or UK.getting 1-2K$ net salary is considered pretty good here and thats just the payments lets not forget about the other expenses you got beside your bike or car.

3.Im a broke student haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I did the bike only thing for about a year and if you can avoid it please do. It is a PITA to get groceries, and to ride in the rain, and most importantly when it becomes your only means of transportation it really takes the fun out of riding. It's nice to have choices in life and not be forced to ride everyday.

Just my .02

Matt
1996 Suzuki RF900
Beater car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
I got my 03 GSX-R600 Alstare racing edition, and my cars a 94' TT 6-speed MKIV....
 

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
in this sig.....
 

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
Joined
·
2,778 Posts
Turbo Hayabusa and a Z06 for a daily beater. Yeah, Life sucks.
 

·
always watching
Joined
·
362 Posts
89t hardtop (my 7m project
91t targa (my 2j project)
2005 cbr1000rr (daily driver) pcIII, leo vince factory tit, puig windscreen, flushmounts, etc, etc, etc
 

·
My reason for temptation
Joined
·
14 Posts
20th GTi <-- daily beater
E46 M3 <-- my bitch
Raven R6 <-- My coming to Jesus moments


All my girls are modified... just like I like them...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top