Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 mk1's and a mk2 one mk1 is getting the 3sgte in it as soon as the supra gets its 1jz i love the practicality of the supra.. but compared to the mr2 i may as well be driving a boat:p

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
93 MK2. The balance on the MR2 is amazing.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
The balance on the MR2 is amazing.
Amazing? Not sure about that from my experience..maybe...different.

I know MR is "Ideal" but it doesn't shine unless you're on the track, otherwise it feels more "ass" heavy (for obvious reasons) which throws me off "balance"-wise moreso than my well-balanced more-predictable FD3S.

I've owned a 91 Mr2-T, a 91 NA, and an 88 NA FWIW...perhaps the upgraded 93 suspension changes the way it feels, definitely fixes the snap-oversteer issue...perhaps that accounted for a lot of my experience.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The 91 and 93 have different handling characteristics, with the oversteer issue being mostly worked out in the 93. The 91 is not as forgiving in the back, but with some experience, you can take advantage of this (it is predictably unforgiving if this makes any sense). I have the 93 with an aftermarket suspension (previous owner).

MR take some time to get used to. You are right, the mr layout is by nature ass heavy, something inherent to the weight distribution. On the other hand, the polar inertia is what is advantageous to the configuration. It is all a matter of taste I guess. I love MR, and am planning on moving on to a porsche one day.

Amazing? Not sure about that from my experience..maybe...different.

I know MR is "Ideal" but it doesn't shine unless you're on the track, otherwise it feels more "ass" heavy (for obvious reasons) which throws me off "balance"-wise moreso than my well-balanced more-predictable FD3S.

I've owned a 91 Mr2-T, a 91 NA, and an 88 NA FWIW...perhaps the upgraded 93 suspension changes the way it feels, definitely fixes the snap-oversteer issue...perhaps that accounted for a lot of my experience.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just got my 91T back on the road after a full longblock swap

·
Registered
208 Posts
92 MR2 Turbo. Fun car.

·
Registered
374 Posts
checking in. Can't say I've ever felt that the car was ass heavy?

·
Registered
374 Posts
No? Not with, ya know, the ENGINE being behind you and all...?

:1poke:
Nice smartass reply. What I meant is it's never been an issue with the car, like you'd feel in a 911 with the weight behind the rear axle. Sure, the weight is behind you, but it still has decent overall balance as long as you know how to drive it. My MR2 is my track car and I'm yet to have the ass end come around on me. Of course, I also run 255 tires in the rear and 225 in the front, so that helps as well.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
No? Not with, ya know, the ENGINE being behind you and all...?

:1poke:
Doesn't matter as much as you think. Remember, MR stands for mid engined, which means that the engine is in front of the rear axle, and more centrally placed.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I had a 94T and a 91T. I had more fun in the 91 because the oversteer was fun and it was a POS compared to my 94T, which is REALLY mint. Fun car to zip around in.

It is a heavy rearend car. For one, it loves to understeer, and you need to be quick with your reactions since the car isn't all that forgiving.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I had a 94T and a 91T. I had more fun in the 91 because the oversteer was fun and it was a POS compared to my 94T, which is REALLY mint. Fun car to zip around in.

It is a heavy rearend car. For one, it loves to understeer, and you need to be quick with your reactions since the car isn't all that forgiving.
The first time I understeered in the mr2, I was in shock. I was in a parking lot trying to get used to the mid engine setup, and I went into an understeer, and turned the wheel left and then right, and the front was completely unresponsive. I tried spinning the rear thinking that I would break the rear giving the front more control, but it still kept going straight, albeit faster. Again, because of the relatively little weight in the front, and the change to understeer dominant suspension in the 93+, the mr2s doesn't hold the traction in the front. Tapping the brakes before the turn in helps shift some weight to the front and solves this problem. I can't wait to take the car to a track to see what it is really about. It is confusing at times.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Nice smartass reply. What I meant is it's never been an issue with the car, like you'd feel in a 911 with the weight behind the rear axle. Sure, the weight is behind you, but it still has decent overall balance as long as you know how to drive it. My MR2 is my track car and I'm yet to have the ass end come around on me. Of course, I also run 255 tires in the rear and 225 in the front, so that helps as well.
I was just jerkin' around...hope you took it lightly :wavey:

I guess I just wasn't expecting such understeer and the less predictable movements of my Mr2 driving it back to back at an AutoX vs. my Rx7. The FD was much more precise, but it could be because I'm not used to MR, plus the steering feedback in the FD is much better. Better tires, better brakes, etc.

I still love the Mr2's, heck, I've owned three of them!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts