Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my research I've seen that the auto plus some goodies is the tranny of choice when it comes to drag racing. I hate auto...I especially hate my auto...because it's in my car. But anyways...to the point...

I want to rip it all out, and put a 5spd in. So what I need is all the 5spd related components, and hoping someone might wat to trade for all auto components. So what I got is:

1991 Turbo auto tranny, converter, fly, starter, drive shaft, rear end, cooling lines, braces, everything auto tranny related. 80K, shifts great, real smooth, very clean.

What I want is a 89 to 92 Turbo 5spd, fly, clutch, shaft, rear end, pedal, all the various 5spd stuff.

I want to make an even trade, cost of shipping divided even between us.

Anyone up to it?

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
I highly doubt you are going to find sombody who wants to go from 5 speed to auto and wants to pay half the shipping, your best bet will be to just find a parts car in your area.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually I have seen several people on this forum who either have or have posted their plans to go auto...or else I wouldn't have posted this.

·
Registered
972 Posts
they wanna go auto... but not with the weak stock tranny..

I like to race.. not just drag.. plus i like to play on the street.. 5speed is my choice

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
y would you want to go to a slush box? If the car has low miles i can't see the reason tearing something apart that is working so well and have to swap over all the related stuff. might be easier to try and find a person to just trade cars with for a week so you know what you are getting yourself in before you go through the swap. my 02 only. so gluck in what ever you decide.

ps. where do you live in tx? interested in meeting some other supra owners in the area

·
Registered
948 Posts
auto's are faster, plain and simple. dont believe me? go ask titan, or mvp, or sound performance

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
MK3Brent said:
Sometimes I wish I could break boost.

but then I say.... 5spds are way more fun.

ummm you can brake boost with a 5spd also...... :scratch:

·
5,467 Posts
76celicagt said:
auto's are faster, plain and simple. dont believe me? go ask titan, or mvp, or sound performance
who are you arguing with? no one on here has said manuals are faster..........

·
5,467 Posts
MK3Brent said:
wtf....how? :lol:
well what do you consider brake boosting? and are you talkin about brake boosting from a stop for a launch or from a roll for a highway run?

as far as i can see it can be done from both ways.....however the launch stand still brake boosting would be pretty hard to coordinate......but from a roll is pretty easy......

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
Well.... I only consider break boosting (((ESPECIALLY SINCE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT DRAG RACING))) from a stand still...

I was hearing about 30mph break boosting... but doesn't seem practical. :D

later.

·
5,467 Posts
MK3Brent said:
Well.... I only consider break boosting (((ESPECIALLY SINCE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT DRAG RACING))) from a stand still...

later.
yeah true i guess taken in context that brake boostin would be POSSIBLE with a manual...but at the same time damn near impossible! lol.....especially to get a good launch outta it hahaha

as for rolling brake boosting...now thats easy and very helpful...spool that bitch up when starting from a roll......and have an instant jump when you go.....no lag needed ;)

but yeah its killer on the brakes for obvious reasons :D

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
MK3Brent said:

later.
I have always called that a break stand and brake boosting was while you are rolling. And brake boosting the the BEST thing you can do during a roll (other than 20/40/60) to get a nice head start in a race. Make full boost, and on the third honk let go of the brake = instant car or two on the other guy:cool:

And why a 89-92 5 speed? The trannys are the same. The diff is what changed.

·
5,467 Posts
yeah the last two posts are exactly what i was thinking about brake boosting....thought for a second i was going crazy lol :D

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
If you want to brake boost as you say, > simply get a stutter box or 2 step as they call it. ( I have a 2-step on the cutlass)

If you have a certain preset RPM for launching say 3000 rpm's. You then press the button to hold the rpm you had preset. This allows you to floor the car or WOT and have it stay at the desired RPM without going over it. This will give you boost at the line. I am doing that with my stand alone or! You can hook up a 2-step as I had mentioned.

Once you let this button go, you let loose as per normal ;)

Duane

My .02

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
if u are serious about drag racing, stay with auto.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts