Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going to a lightweight flywheel but I will then have to get a sprung disk. I know of one person saying that their spring broke on their RPS clutch but how many others has this happened to and did RPS take care of it?

·
Registered
362 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
I am thinking about going to a lightweight flywheel but I will then have to get a sprung disk. I know of one person saying that their spring broke on their RPS clutch but how many others has this happened to and did RPS take care of it?
It happened to me, I don't know if it broke but it came loose anyway. It wreaked havoc on the clutch and flywheel. It happened after the warranty had expired so I did not bother to contact RPS about it.
I now have the Arizona clutch with a new stock flywheel. IMHO this combination is easier to drive than the RPS Stage 3 with lw flywheel.

Flavio

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had the RPS sprung hub with TRD(RPS) PP and ClutchMasters LF. Never had spring problems though, and it launched really nice, just didn't take all the tranny noise away. One side of the disk seemed to wear more than the other and I will talk to RPS about that but I took it out to redo the whole drivetrain(motor/single turbo/and all) and try out TRD's(Exedy) Twin sprung hub disk setup.
-I like trying different setups so I can recommend the right ones-
Anyone with RPS problems should always give them a call regardless of warranty, they're very customer oriented from what I've seen or heard.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: How May People Have Had Their Springs Break (clutch ?)

Flavio said:

It happened to me, I don't know if it broke but it came loose anyway. It wreaked havoc on the clutch and flywheel. It happened after the warranty had expired so I did not bother to contact RPS about it.
I now have the Arizona clutch with a new stock flywheel. IMHO this combination is easier to drive than the RPS Stage 3 with lw flywheel.

Flavio
How long did you have it in the car before it broke...what was your driving style like? Did you drag race much or highway race more? If you did drag race did you do like 6000 or 6800rpm launches?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How May People Have Had Their Springs Break (clutch ?)

TT_6SPD_95 said:

How long did you have it in the car before it broke...what was your driving style like? Did you drag race much or highway race more? If you did drag race did you do like 6000 or 6800rpm launches?
It lasted less than 7000 miles.

My driving style is normal except the occasional sprint from a standstill or a burnout. When doing that I do high rpm launches but the RPS is supposed to survive that.

Flavio

V

·
0 Posts
hey flavio, would you mind comparing the rps stage 3 to a rps palte with a az disk? i am buying a clutch soon and cant decide between the two. how heavy is the pedeal comparing the two?/ thanks!

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I guess that I am going to have to change my setup if I want to run the lightweight flywheel (don't really want to do it)...what clutches out there has anyone went with that has lasted them for 12k miles or so and has been used for drag racing at 6-7k rpm clutch drops? Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
TVRsupra said:
hey flavio, would you mind comparing the rps stage 3 to a rps palte with a az disk? i am buying a clutch soon and cant decide between the two. how heavy is the pedeal comparing the two?/ thanks!
I like the Az clutch better, pedal stiffness is about the same but it is more civilized (less noise) and easier to drive.

Flavio

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Flavio said:

I like the Az clutch better, pedal stiffness is about the same but it is more civilized (less noise) and easier to drive.

Flavio
What do you mean by easier to drive??

T

·
0 Posts
I had some clutch adjustment problems with my trd(rps) single disk, smoked the clutch twice...I mean SMOKED IT, had no pedal pressure...made dyno pulls, 40+ passes at lvd, normal stop and go driving, street "playing", ect...45,000 miles later its just starting to let go.:)

-Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts