Mods are:

Built motor, stock head w/ 1.4mm MHG
GT40-82 with Ebay mani, 3" dp, open wg, Ebay fmic w/ hardpipes
550cc injectors, Walbro, stock ECU + VPC/S-AFC
Wideband + EGT gauge
Base timing set at 8 degrees.

How much boost can I run without fear of knock with:

1. 94 oct pump fuel
2. 94 oct pump fuel with 30% toluene mix.

I'm hitting the dyno this saturday.

Thanks!

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,950 Posts
It's a very capeable turbo but hows the management. I would say start at 20 and go forward. The dyno operator is key here for if he is good and the af get bad he gets off the pedal rather than stay in it. I think 25-26lbs of boost should give nice yields. The timeing is low so I don't think you will have a problem. I am running 12 degree timing!

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QWIKSTRIKE said:
It's a very capeable turbo but hows the management. I would say start at 20 and go forward. The dyno operator is key here for if he is good and the af get bad he gets off the pedal rather than stay in it. I think 25-26lbs of boost should give nice yields. The timeing is low so I don't think you will have a problem. I am running 12 degree timing!
Hi,

I'm not that concerned about fueling and going lean because of I have a wideband. I'm mainly concerned about knock.

FYI, this is only a dyno day and I am going to street tune the car a bit on my way there and then just do a few pulls and cross my fingers for good results.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,950 Posts
Krister said:
Hi,

I'm not that concerned about fueling and going lean because of I have a wideband. I'm mainly concerned about knock.

FYI, this is only a dyno day and I am going to street tune the car a bit on my way there and then just do a few pulls and cross my fingers for good results.
I know its retarded because of knock but I feel you are not gonna realize the full potential like this, but it's safe and a start. You need a standalone to manage that brute and until you get one what ya have is fine. I am your biggest fan and can't wait for you to prove what I have been boasting all along. I am gonna have a Haltec E11V2 very soon. As we speak one of my homies is doing his as a prototype for my install on a 7mgte here in NY.

·
Not your average auto mk3
1,046 Posts
Personally, i dont like going higher than 18psi on pump shit. W/ toluene, maybe 20psi....but IMHO, pushing the envelope on pump gas is risky business for no real benefit. If youre trying to make big power, racegas or at least a mix is the only way....

Again, just my personal preference...

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slow66 said:
Personally, i dont like going higher than 18psi on pump shit. W/ toluene, maybe 20psi....but IMHO, pushing the envelope on pump gas is risky business for no real benefit. If youre trying to make big power, racegas or at least a mix is the only way....

Again, just my personal preference...
I have a meth injection coming soon but I dont have time to install it untill a month from now. Untill then, I only have access to homebrew race gas and 94 octane. We dont have real race gas here redily available and if we have, it costs an arm and a leg, so this will have to suffice.

Toluene served me good with my MKIV and I boosted even to 1.6 bar on the strip without any meltdown/detonation. So I was thinking of boosting to 1.5 bar on the dyno with the mix of Toluene. Does anybody have any real experiences with Toluene, no guesses?

·
Not your average auto mk3
1,046 Posts
I was unaware of the low-availability of race fuel in finland :)

I know alot of Chevelle guys that have had good luck with toluene, but i have never used it personally.

I woudl just hate to see you cause damage by trying to push it too much. All i can say is start with lower boost and a good amount of fuel, and go from there. Youll probably see in the mid 400whp range on pump though....which aint bad :)

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slow66 said:
I was unaware of the low-availability of race fuel in finland :)

I know alot of Chevelle guys that have had good luck with toluene, but i have never used it personally.

I woudl just hate to see you cause damage by trying to push it too much. All i can say is start with lower boost and a good amount of fuel, and go from there. Youll probably see in the mid 400whp range on pump though....which aint bad :)

Any idea how much more boost do the Chevelle guys run with Toluene?

I know, I dont want to damage the engine... I'll have it plenty rich and watch the EGT's.

Still wanting to know how far have people pushed the stock ECU with pump fuel :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts