Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Just been curious about this how much would you guys pay for a very very accurate sensor that would measure the torque and horsepower to the wheels in real time and output it to a gauge. Basically something similar to the Veyron HP gauge only this would be the WHP/WTQ.

And I'm not trying to sell any kits or anything like that. Just wondering if there is an actual market for a kit with very accurate measurements.

And also please post some realistic $ amounts.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hey guys.

Just been curious about this how much would you guys pay for a very very accurate sensor that would measure the torque and horsepower to the wheels in real time and output it to a gauge. Basically something similar to the Veyron HP gauge only this would be the WHP/WTQ.

And I'm not trying to sell any kits or anything like that. Just wondering if there is an actual market for a kit with very accurate measurements.

And also please post some realistic $ amounts.

Thanks
Its a good idea but it couldnt be gps based like the gtech, it'd have to be like the msd dashawk that plugs into the odbII port. ...and in the general market more $$$ money would be made in ODBII since well theres alot more of 'em out there.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually this would be based on an actual torque sensor that would be placed somewhere after the output shaft of the tranny and therefore give a very accurate measurement.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
I don't see there being a very large market for something like that. The G-Tech is already out there, and those don't seem to be a hot item. Granted they use an accelerometer, time, and distance covered to give a rough estimate hp numbers, but I think 90% of the people who really want to know their hp numbers would rather head to the dyno instead. A couple pulls on a dyno costs, what.... a couple hundred bucks? It also gives you the wide band O2 readings, and the more serious guys are going to go to the dyno to tune there cars anyway.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the Blitz Power meter? inst that what your thinking of?
I think they still use accelerometers so the accuracy is not the same as an actual sensor measuring torque. Basically with this you would have an in-car dyno which gives you readings on real roads with proper air flow and traction as opposed to a dyno.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
But a dynojet inertia dyno is basically an accelerometer so why does it matter if these other tools are accelerometer based as well?

Fried, you talking about the Nology Laptop Dyno? Was tested by Import Tuner a little while ago?

Alex

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Are you talking about a torque sensor utilizing a torsion unit in the driveshaft and a MMT technology sensor unit with Hall ICs? ;)

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Seems to me that this would cost a fortune to impliment. I know of MUCH smaller units for lab scale mixing experiments (like Hefti is describing) cost hundreds of dollars. I would bet that you would have to pay several thousand dollars for such an instrument and custom installation.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
not much....because the truth is it doesn't matter....once your car is dialed in on the dyno it's all about maintaining safe a/f and safe boost levels in reference to your fuel.....the butt dyno and the shrinking headlights in my rear iew mirror fill in the other blanks ;)....cool novelty though...

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Well it depends on what type of sensing unit should be used here. If there is kind of a standard unit existing it could be rather inexpensive but an adequate ECU would be the more tricky part I guess.
The system itselve is using two magnets being on both ends of a torsion section and so, when torque is applied, are being turned away from each other which is being measured through the Hall ICs. These signals can be red by an appropriate ECU and the output of this unit could be in hp/torque..
Gerd

@morefatser
Funny point with the "shrinking headlight sin the rvm" :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts