Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering..how much engine oil you guys put in when you get it changed..i mean it as in how many bottles..thanks=)

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
5.3 quarts with stock filter change and 5.0 with out oil filter change and 6.9 quarts dry fill!

M

·
0 Posts
Don't have a brain lapse like I did and dump in 5 quarts of Mobil 1 with your brand new oil filter sitting on the curb. Yes. I did that. Please don't do it.

M

·
0 Posts
I just changed mine a couple of weeks ago and it ended up being a little over 5 and a half, with the new filter installed. If the service manual says 6 or whatever, I just go one quart below, then take my time and ad a little at a time until it's where it's supposed to be. If you bring it to one of those quick shops, be careful, they'll turn the dial on the filler and over fill your car.

Dukki, you have a 97, from what I understand, the oil filter is easy to get to. Bring it over this weekend and I'll change it for you so you''ll know exactly what to do the next itme.

You might want to consider changing the tranny fluid too. It's recommended every 15k miles. Seems like a lot of people over look this though....

Melvin

·
10,459 Posts
his oil is good i looked at it yesterday looks fresh! also i told him about the trany fluid also !
man mell you and i are on the same page (same thought);)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, Melvin. i am going up to CT this weekend for my job...
on sat. i wil be at windsor and on sunday i will be at fairfield. i cant take the supra b/c i have to drive the company van..but feel frree to stop by at the computer show! or drop me an email..as ranger said...the oil is clean for now..i'll prolly do it by the end of this month or so..and i go tthe v8 filter for it.. but i'll let ya know if i get a weekend off and i'll come up there to visit you and ur supra!!=)

I

·
0 Posts
hey ranger, what does that mean? dry fill? and how often do you guys change your oil filter?

·
10,459 Posts
dry fill is a completly dry motor with no oil in it !like when you do a rebuild!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just took my supra to toyota quick lube and they didnt even have synthetic oil..but wheni called the service dept. they said they had it..so i had to argue with this freakin guy that a guy in service told me he had it..and he ended up calling the guy and guy what!! they had it!! and he said..its going to be $7 a quart and its gona cost me 44 bucks to get it changed!! wtf!! so i laughed! and i asked him how much would it be to change the oil if i brought the filter and oil and all they had to do is just change them..and he said 26 dollars..so i just left..what a rip off..or is it?

·
road hazard
452 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR said:
i just took my supra to toyota quick lube and they didnt even have synthetic oil..but wheni called the service dept. they said they had it..so i had to argue with this freakin guy that a guy in service told me he had it..and he ended up calling the guy and guy what!! they had it!! and he said..its going to be $7 a quart and its gona cost me 44 bucks to get it changed!! wtf!! so i laughed! and i asked him how much would it be to change the oil if i brought the filter and oil and all they had to do is just change them..and he said 26 dollars..so i just left..what a rip off..or is it?
44 bucks? what a rip off! i recommend doing your own oil changes if you have the resources. just drop buy your toyota dealer and get an oil filter (you can easily find a coupon in the paper) and go to walmart to get a 6 pack case of mobil1 synthetic.

there's nothing like working on your car on a lazy sunday afternoon.:)

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR,

"there's nothing like working on your car on a lazy sunday afternoon."per toysupra1

Tell you what, if you have big, "full-size" hands, and your's is pre-97 Supra, then you'll REALLY enjoy changing oil yourself. I'm willing to bet that you'd never do it yourself again...It's a pain in the you-know-what. I'm talking about changing the filter.
I just bought a Squeeze Wrench (as seen on TV...) and I'm gona give it a try, next time I have to change oil. See if it makes life easier.
If you get your own filter and oil, then I'm sure that you can find a shop in your area that would do it for $15 or less.

Jay :cool:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
supra10 and toysupra1
i would love to spend my sundays changin my engine oil! but i pretty much work sat/sun from sunrise to around 8pm or later..so no time on weekends..if i were to do it on my own..i'll need to get soem jack stands...i'll give it a try this week when i get the time..if not..i'll just have to find a good local shop to do it for me while i suplly them with the filter and oil.

thanks for the help guys!

·
road hazard
452 Posts
the oil filter was a bit tricky at first when i was starting to do my own oil changes. i bought one of those cheapo oil filter wrenches from kragen. i just use it to tighten/loosen the oil filter. its really easy to do. but if you have some popeye forearms and blacksmith hands, i would assume it to be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i am going to give it a try at changin the engine oil this week...all i need to get now is the wrench for the filter and some oil pan to hold the oil..!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts