Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Most likely about 2-3hrs of labor @ 60-70/hr + the cost of the head gasket - not sure how much a stock one is, but the HKS head gasket is about $300-330.

Jay

·
0 Posts
HKS headgasket would be the best investment. But I've heard it cost allot, call toyota up, and just ask about labor, maybe then you can figure it out, but do go with the HKS headgasket.

2 RIP
never replace stock.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
Sorry to say but its a bit more than 2-3 hours to pull and replace the head, AMHIK. I had this problem last summer. I blew my lower radiator hose off and blew the gasket and warkped the head. Toyota would have charged 5k+ to remove the head, send it to a machince shop, then replace it. I did the work with the help of a friend for about 1k. Cost 800 in machine shop work to get the head straight and 200 in gaskets from jay marks. Its a messy job but you will save tons of money in the end.

After removing the head, we realized that its much easier to pull the engine than to try to take the head off while its in the car.

J

·
0 Posts
if you still have the stock twins.... it'll be a pita.

it takes a LOT longer than 2-3 hours to do.

the stock head gasket is already a metal headgasket. i would go with the stock one and not a HKS one. the stock one is around 200 bucks

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Javeman said:
if you still have the stock twins.... it'll be a pita.

it takes a LOT longer than 2-3 hours to do.

the stock head gasket is already a metal headgasket. i would go with the stock one and not a HKS one. the stock one is around 200 bucks
Good call - on stock twins it'll be a bigger pita - I'm single so...and I just had an HKS headgasket put in..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
From what I've heard, the stock headgasket is incredibly strong, and will pretty much never ever blow, unless the car overheated at warped the head, or something like that.

I'm sure one of the big HP guys can comment, but I don't think there is any reason to change out the head gasket unless you want ungodly power.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Grant said:
From what I've heard, the stock headgasket is incredibly strong, and will pretty much never ever blow, unless the car overheated at warped the head, or something like that.

I'm sure one of the big HP guys can comment, but I don't think there is any reason to change out the head gasket unless you want ungodly power.
I agree...as a rule I don't think they blow...ever...but 35psi...yadda yadda...better safe than...

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts