Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
3" catback, port the head, 2jz valves with reground cams, oversized pistons, shot peened, balanced, and stress relieved rods, 7mgte oil pump, 550 cc inj's., Maft Pro and wideband.......

THEN do the n/a -> turbo ;) That should be good for as much power as you'd want.

·
Registered
184 Posts
if your looking to make power....save yourself ALOT of time and money and get a turbo.....not a good car to try and build all motor

·
510 Posts
Seriously, there was a guy on one of the furums doing an all out n/a. Iirc, he squeezed around 300 hp outta it. BUT, he had spent more money and time than it could ever be worth when you could easily do more with a turbo motor.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
enough to brag about for being NA at least... :ugh2: I havent seen the thread on that though.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
I'd like to see the thread also. But to answer the original question, the NA 7M is not a good platform to try to get horsepower from.

·
1993 RX-7
278 Posts
It might be a good platform in another vehicle (ie. toyota truck). To move the boat that is the supra you need turbo power. Whatever money you spend on the NA will eventually go over the cost of a 7mgte and net you less power.

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts
why? :dunno: It's like my 1g-gte fascination. There's no point! The novelty is cool, but performance and power wise, I might as well hook up my sister's VW Cabrio.

·
Finally gone turbo!
416 Posts
I got a N/A and it sucks cause theres like nothing you can do to it to get more power out of it. You cant even find something as simple as a cold air intake, all you can get is a K&N air filter.
But my advice would be to buy a turbo motor or a supra that already had a 7MGTE in it.....thats what Im planning on doin :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
i had an n/a once and it ran in the track 14.6 in the quater with stock radial tires. I Dindnt spent alot of money either. exhaust, getto intake, flow meter tricked, intake manifold polished and 3 angle valve job. the polish intake I did it my self.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Back in the day a guy that used to come to Street Racers in Orange County had a 64 ford falcon 6 cylinder that did consistent 11's all he had was a 4 bbl, no forced induction, so our twin overhead cam motors should be able to make some power if thats the course you choose. Just because some dont like the idea dint mean it cant be so.

·
510 Posts
Ya, I think it was Defiant, although I don't remember seeing a final number for hp. The thread is over on sm somewhere.

Actually, I drive an n/a myself. If you have the right one, they're alot of fun, easy to maintain, and rarely have serious problems when well maintained. Makes a good daily driver. Mine isn't quite stock any more, though. I can't help it.... I'd hot rod a Yugo if I drove one..

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
I got a N/A and it sucks cause theres like nothing you can do to it to get more power out of it. You cant even find something as simple as a cold air intake, all you can get is a K&N air filter.
But my advice would be to buy a turbo motor or a supra that already had a 7MGTE in it.....thats what Im planning on doin :)
You have to be creative and make things for yourself, you can't expect everything to be easy and readily made for your car. I go into home depot with an idea and come out with a project. There is a LOT you can do to an NA, I might as well just start listing:

Cold air intake - Route your piping so the filter is OUT of the engine bay, mine is usually somewhere behind the foglight or turn signals

Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor - Improve your spark for a better burn in the combustion chambers, iirc people have done an MSD ignition on the 7mge

Header - Pacesetter sells them, OBX sells them, some need to be modified slightly [the collector] but it is not a lot of work and it won't be expensive to do. Heatwrap is a MUST if you want to really utilize the power of this upgrade

Test pipe - Yes it will slightly improve power output on an NA

Catback - Recommended 2.5" for mainly stock, 3" definitely if you have lots of other supporting mods. A 3" exhaust was my biggest upgrade when I was NA

Increasing timing to 12 btdc - Made my car pull much harder and held till redline, note you should run at least 91 octane

180 degree thermostat - Make your engine run cooler for more optimal performance

Lightweight flywheel - Make your engine rev faster, less rotating mass

Lightweight driveshaft - Less rotating mass

Lightweight wheels - Less rotating mass

Electric fan - Free up a proven 2-5 hp

Electric water pump - Not a common upgrade, not sure of hp gain

High compression - A definite mod to do if you're building an na, note you'll have to tune or run higher octane gas to avoid detonation

Head work - Massive port and polishing to improve the flow will definetely increase your engines power output

Cams - Always a good power adder, although a bit pricey to have some made

Adjustable cam gears - Tune your cams and adjust your power curve for efficiency

Dyno tune - If you're hitting the dyno, you should definetely have something to tune with

And obviously you can do weight reduction and aerodynamic improvements.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts