Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to clarify some things for myself and other people on the forums (with your help). While achieving higher horse power were major problems occur.

1. Sock TT setup is good for 320whp with some modifications (Exhaust,Boost controllers, intercooler, etc.) you can achieve aprox 480whp before TT’s are maxed out and you are leaning out.
2. Between 480whp and 700whp you have larger turbo(s), more fuel, increased cooling, clutch, etc.
3. Between 700whp and 850whp you are pushing your top end capabilities and your rods
4. 850whp+ seams to be a hole other ballpark you are changing rods, porting heads major engine cooling, stabilizing drivetrain, etc.

I realize I am being very broad but I want like to know where your major stock components fail i.e. drivetrain, block, rods, pistons, crank, cams, cooling, frame tweak, etc.

· From the land down under
5,624 Posts
I just want to clarify some things for myself and other people on the forums (with your help). While achieving higher horse power were major problems occur.

1. Sock TT setup is good for 320whp with some modifications (Exhaust,Boost controllers, intercooler, etc.) you can achieve aprox 480whp before TT’s are maxed out and you are leaning out.
2. Between 480whp and 700whp you have larger turbo(s), more fuel, increased cooling, clutch, etc.
3. Between 700whp and 850whp you are pushing your top end capabilities and your rods
4. 850whp+ seams to be a hole other ballpark you are changing rods, porting heads major engine cooling, stabilizing drivetrain, etc.

I realize I am being very broad but I want like to know where your major stock components fail i.e. drivetrain, block, rods, pistons, crank, cams, cooling, frame tweak, etc.

Has that ever happened on a 2jz? I would love to see the pics ;)

· Old School
4,433 Posts

· Letterkenny
382 Posts
really I'd like to read up on the history of the 2jz motor.
I too was interested in that. Sofar, all I could find was this little snippet from Wikipedia:

"The 2JZ-GTE is an inline-layout, six-cylinder, belt-driven dual-overhead camshaft, air-intercooled, twin-turbocharged, cast-iron engine designed and manufactured by Toyota Motor Corporation that was produced from 1991 until 2002 in Japan. Final development of the 2JZ-GTE was outsourced to German engineering firm Johann A. Krause Maschinenfabrik GmbH for refinement to meet production car homogolation requirements set forth by the former All-Japan Grand Touring Car Championship."

Interestingly "Johann A. Krause Maschinenfabrik GmBH" is:

http://www.jakrause.de/index.php?lang=us

Looks like they're a division of the German company ThyssenKrupp:

http://www.thyssenkrupp.com/

Rest assured, the 2JZ had some of the best minds working on it :)

Thanks,

Mike

· ihavnoideawutimdoin
3,017 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.