Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get my car to be able to hit 10s or possibly high 9s.i was wondering how much hp would i need.ill be doing a r154 swap bc im na-t.also what king of set up or tips does anyone have to be able to have a good launch.i know autos are really good for drag racing not sure if i should abandon the r154 swap for a auto.any input would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the crazy thing is ive read the top bpu times on here and theres bpu guys running nos thats running high 10s and im sure they not pushing 800+ hp.thats y i was curous also ive seen a supra at a strip running 9s with 800 or so hp.

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what kind of driver mods should i get.im pretty new to drag racing i did 1 run and got hooked on it.i dont plan on making my car a straight drag car.i just wana be able to hit 10s when i go to the track and be able to drive it on the weekend.

· Why go TT??
99 Posts
IF you do the math a 3500lbs car will need 597.57hp to run a 10.50
521.15 to run a 10.99...everything else is set up and driver...

your time slip will need to look something like this...

60 Foot 1.46
330 Foot 4.22
660 Foot 6.63
660 MPH 102.59
1000 Foot 8.72
1/4 Mile ET 10.50
1/4 Mile MPH 126.19

The 1.46 60 foot is the killer. If your 60 foot is higher then 1.46 you need more hp on the top end to get the time... thats why you see Supras running say a [email protected] 135mph should run a 9.xx.

These numbers come from Max Race Software. It will guess my Mustang down to a tenth.....

· Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,872 Posts
Depending upon what mods you have done for weight reduction, 500whp will get you into the high 10 range. I did it with about 465whp and the removal of the pass seat, rear upper seat, light weight battery, etc. For high 9's, I'm not really sure. I do know the gap between a 10.50 and 9.90 is far greater than most people would expect.

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol im very new to drag racing.i street race on the highway but ive gotten away from that its to dangerous and i have a baby on the way.im going to try and get to the 800hp range and i should be satisfied there.but ive been tempted to do a gte swap and fully bpu it with NOS so i dont have to worry about having to get the car tuned and ect.ive been very undecided.

· supra7
634 Posts
I would just go auto and don't worrie about the r154. It can and has and does do it but the auto handles the abuse better, more consistant and makes a little easier to drive it ( takes some of the driver mod out...) plus they can still be fun on the street. But just a opinion.....

· Alpha for president
1,588 Posts
i made a 10.1 @144 pass with around 700 hp. also I really don't have a lot of seat time a the track because i get kicked out for not having a cage. I would say you could do it with less and a better driver.

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what auto tranny should i use considering the car is a weekend driver too.bc right now i have the w58 and i definately know its not going to hold up to the hp i wana throw at it.or even on the strip.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
My car dyno'd mid 500's at full weight and went 10.50's 40's. Then i dropped in a TH350 and cracked 9's. This is all on a 100% bone stock 120k mile motor and rear end.

Now being a NA-T...did you swap a gte motor in? or whats done to the Na-T motor? we need some spec's and we can all guess more accurate. And a R154 is a bad idea it will most likely break on you. But most all the guys above are right you don't need even 700 to hit 10's. With " good driver mod " it's been done many times with 450-540whp.

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
o ok.well im na-t.i have a 2jzge engine was thinking about doing the gte swap and doing bpu but ill just keep the ge.also im pushing 315whp and 304tq.i have the t61 kit from xspower.full 3inch exhaust with custom mid pipe.255 fuel pump.stock HG and injectors.i was planning on keeping the stock bottom end and try to hit 800hp just for the track and bring the boost down on the streets.but what auto tranny should i go with considering its a weekend driver and how can i do the swap.

i just wana say i greatly appreciate everyones input its really helping me a lot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.