Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a '97 Supra Twin Turbo tomorrow with an automatic transmission. I plan on doing some mods to it and it says it already has a turbo timer (whatever that is). I plan on trying to reach at least the 500hp level which I have read is not that hard to do. I just wanted to get some info on how much the automatic will take. Also, what will be the first things I need to beef up to withstand that kind of power, or will around 500hp not put that much stress on the stock drivetrain? I currently own a '95 Z-28, but I have always wanted a Supra Twin Turbo and I have the means to get one now but I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. All replies appreciated..

SwamiBob

·
0 Posts
swamibob said:
I am looking at a '97 Supra Twin Turbo tomorrow with an automatic transmission. I plan on doing some mods to it and it says it already has a turbo timer (whatever that is). I plan on trying to reach at least the 500hp level which I have read is not that hard to do. I just wanted to get some info on how much the automatic will take. Also, what will be the first things I need to beef up to withstand that kind of power, or will around 500hp not put that much stress on the stock drivetrain? I currently own a '95 Z-28, but I have always wanted a Supra Twin Turbo and I have the means to get one now but I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. All replies appreciated..

SwamiBob
I don't think there is a completely definitive answer for how much HP the auto tranny will hold. The problem isn't really in figuring out how much power it will hold, but for how long. For example, my car was stock for about 30,000 miles, BPU for 10,000 miles and single turbo for another 5,000 miles or so. I still had the auto tranny in the car. At the time I went BPU, the car had a tranny cooler installed. At the time I went single, I also put a high stall torque converter in the car. The tranny had about 45,000 miles or so of wear, including some single turbo (500+ RWHP), high stall TC miles. I never had a problem. The tranny was still perfect when I pulled it out. Was it because it only had 45,000 miles? Or was it because I had a good tranny cooler on it and kept the tranny fluid changed regularly?

I know of dozens of auto trannies that are over 100,000 miles with BPU mods (400+ RWHP) with no problems. Part of it depends on how you drive the car and how well you maintain the transmission. The more power you put to the tranny, and the higher the stall TC you put in there, the more stress you put on it. I personally believe that the auto trans can handle in excess of 500 RWHP and a high stall TC as long as you have a good cooler on it and keep the fluid changed. It should last like that for a long time. At BPU and a stock torque converter, even without a cooler, it should last for over 100,000 miles. They're really tough. Can you break one? Sure. But it's not very common unless you drag race or road race on a regular basis. You can kill one in 1,000 miles if all you do is make 4,000 quarter mile passes on it. Everything is relative.

Do not be afraid of buying an auto trans car and putting some serious horsepower through it. Just make sure you maintain it well.

Mark
SP63, SP fuel system, 3800 stall, auto trans

M

·
0 Posts
Mark is right, MKIV_TT is a strong car than any others for mods.

transmisson wont be a problem for MKIV just holding up that little 500hp(i think u mean crank hp, right?)

just a BPU+ can easily boost over 500 crank hp,

but anyhow, like what we always agree in here: speed cost money!

Welcome to MKIV's world!

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
BPU should have no problems.

With just basic performance upgrades you should have no problems whatsoever with the stock auto.

Just keep the TRAC fuse in. You can *feel* the transmission turning itself into hell with 400+ rwhp between shifts. Plus you'll get a cool blow-off in between shifts. :D

With a single turbo, get a stall converter and a transmission cooler, and change the fluid often with stock Toyota fluid.

To keep an eye on how your transmission is doing, keep checking the level and the consistency of the fluid. If it turns dark really quickly, your clutch pack material is being ground up and is being suspended in the transmission fluid. Get it flushed and install a transmission cooler if this starts happening.

And if it breaks, buy the SP transmission. Maybe you can use a busted tranny as a core. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts