Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start off by saying I've searched but there's not really any way to word this question without getting hit with a bunch of BS.

How much power can a stock 7mget handle? By that I mean the internals (pistons, rods, Etc.) I've never had a factory turbo car, so I don't know what knowledge still applies and what doesn't.

I'll be doing the upgrades in the order as laid out in the noob guide so it isn't going to be an imediate problem, I'm just trying to get a decent plan together.

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
stock 7mgte I wouldn't boost past 8psi. Get a metal head gasket that should be the first thing that you do. Stock bottom end I beleive can handle up to 600hp.....but your question is to general........goodluck and hope that some of the og's in here don't cream on you for this question.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That pretty much answers my question. I thought I was being pretty specific, asking what the power tollerances(spelling?) of the internals were.

Why would I get attacked for this?

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
^^ because the question has been ask many times.....but I'm just trying to help and do my part....like I say good luck with the build

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I think there is a guy who's got 753rwhp on stock rods. Crank is forged so everything else will break before you need to worry about that. It depends though there's really no set number range the 7m internals can handle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ because the question has been ask many times.....but I'm just trying to help and do my part....like I say good luck with the build
Oh well I apologize for waisting anyone's time or polluting the forum here, but no matter how I worded the seach it wouldn't really come up with the answers I needed.

What is your HP goal?
I'm not so much shooting for a specific HP number, but more so just something that's faster than most cars I'll run into, prefferably around the 12 second quarter though I'll definately take something faster if I can.

·
Just some newb.
1,327 Posts
Oh well I apologize for waisting anyone's time or polluting the forum here, but no matter how I worded the seach it wouldn't really come up with the answers I needed.

I'm not so much shooting for a specific HP number, but more so just something that's faster than most cars I'll run into, prefferably around the 12 second quarter though I'll definately take something faster if I can.
The secret to good 1/4 mile times is not the power you are putting down. Its how you are putting it down that counts.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ive done 551hp on my stock bottem end with a metal headgasktet on pump gas. I could probably do closer to 650 with some c16 and more boost and my slicks on the car at the dyno.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The secret to good 1/4 mile times is not the power you are putting down. Its how you are putting it down that counts.
meaning control arms, tires, and etc.?

Ive done 551hp on my stock bottem end with a metal headgasktet on pump gas. I could probably do closer to 650 with some c16 and more boost and my slicks on the car at the dyno.
That is truly impressive. What kind of uprgrades had you done?

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
honestly, depends how well you do thinks (aka not cheaping out on parts) and how good of a tune you have.

majority of cars on the road in a drag race you need about 450whp and a two-step or another way to get boost off the line.

my .02

<l><l>

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
My understanding is that a completely stock bottom-end 7M will have trouble making it over 500whp. The stock headgasket will in most cases keep you under 400whp. The reason I say 500whp on the stock bottom end is that the 7M doesn't have forged pistons. It has hyper eutectic (sp?) cast pistons which are very susceptible to poor tuning and may crack from even light detonation. That being said, once the headgasket and piston issues have been address, the line becomes a little fuzzy. Duane (upgradedsupra) did 650+whp with forged pistons, shot peened rods (iirc), and a stock head. It's all in the tune at that point.

Collin

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
honestly, depends how well you do thinks (aka not cheaping out on parts) and how good of a tune you have.

majority of cars on the road in a drag race you need about 450whp and a two-step or another way to get boost off the line.

my .02

<l><l>
450whp is plenty for 12's. If it wasn't for my crappy tires and clutch my last time at the track, I would have been running 12's on a dyno proven 360whp.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
My understanding is that a completely stock bottom-end 7M will have trouble making it over 500whp. The stock headgasket will in most cases keep you under 400whp. The reason I say 500whp on the stock bottom end is that the 7M doesn't have forged pistons. It has hyper eutectic (sp?) cast pistons which are very susceptible to poor tuning and may crack from even light detonation. That being said, once the headgasket and piston issues have been address, the line becomes a little fuzzy. Duane (upgradedsupra) did 650+whp with forged pistons, shot peened rods (iirc), and a stock head. It's all in the tune at that point.

Collin
No problems here.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts

Collin
The 2J doesn't have Forged pistons either from factory. ;) Rods are similar for both engines though.

You're correct in my power and mods list at that time.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
450whp is plenty for 12's. If it wasn't for my crappy tires and clutch my last time at the track, I would have been running 12's on a dyno proven 360whp.
completely agree, I plan someday to hit 12's high with a .57 trim ct and cams, I said 450whp however because he said:

and 450 will take mostly anything on the street until you hit dedicated cars for racing.

Of course that all doesn't matter if your a crappy driver ;)

<l><l>

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
stock head, block, composite head gasket, stock CT26 turbo @ 13 psi and BPU'd w/ no problems whatsoever. and almost near the 12's.

aite, peace.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts