Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Boost Dealer
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know how much HP is required at the tires
to get a MKIV to be a 10.9 or better 1/4 mile car. I'd also
like to know how much power is needed for a MKIII, MKII.

I know that there is many many varibles, like traction,
recation time, etc. Assuming a driver that knows his car.

How much power would be needed for street tires in the 10s
and drag radials to get into the 10s.

I just want a general Idea, backed up with facts. I've got to
decide what kind of power range I should be building for. I've
got a MKIII, and a MKII, and I would consider a MKIV if I can
afford one.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I dyno'd 565 to the wheels in an auto with a stock motor and T-61. Was able to run [email protected] on 17" radials. Mark cooper was able to run 10.20 with a little under 600rwhp with an automatic and stock motor. Hope this helps.

·
Boost Dealer
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1/4 mile times

hmmm, I have a 5-speed. Aren't the automatics actually faster
than the 6 speeds in the 1/4 mile?

D

·
0 Posts
Re: 1/4 mile times

jtamulis said:
hmmm, I have a 5-speed.

ummm it will be pretty expensive to get an N/A into 10s. better alternative is tell sell your car and get a TT. much more potential and about the same cost as doing NA-T

Aren't the automatics actually faster
than the 6 speeds in the 1/4 mile?

it depends on the driver. if it is a good driver the 6 speed is faster. most magazines i saw had the 6 speed going .2-.5 in the 1/4 mile

·
Registered
763 Posts
Automatics are faster when it comes to single turbo supras in the 1/4.

This is because autos can build more boost and luanch harder off the line. It is easier to make big boost off the line in an automatic. It is a lot trickier in a 6 speed but not impossible.

-pete

·
Boost Dealer
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 speed

Um I have a 5 Speed, but its in a 1982 MKII.
I also have a 1988 Turbo 7MGTE that's just been
rebuilt, with a freshly upgraded turbo, etc.

That's what I'm going to be building.

·
3,148 Posts
I think it would be very hard to get a Supra (of any year) into the 10's with true street tires. Dragradials yes true street tires no.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
174 Posts
jtamulis said:
I would like to know how much HP is required at the tires
to get a MKIV to be a 10.9 or better 1/4 mile car. I'd also
like to know how much power is needed for a MKIII, MKII.

I know that there is many many varibles, like traction,
recation time, etc. Assuming a driver that knows his car.

How much power would be needed for street tires in the 10s
and drag radials to get into the 10s.

I just want a general Idea, backed up with facts. I've got to
decide what kind of power range I should be building for. I've
got a MKIII, and a MKII, and I would consider a MKIV if I can
afford one.
I was actually only making 560rwhp when I ran the 10.20. After some tuning, it dyno'd at 580, but ran no faster at the track (don't know why).

I once ran 18 psi on pump gas (about 470 rwhp) to see what the car was capable of at this level and still managed a 10.98 on drag radials. With the proper set-up, big hp is not necessary to run very respectable times.

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: How much power is needed for a 10 sec car.

supratt96 said:

I was actually only making 560rwhp when I ran the 10.20. After some tuning, it dyno'd at 580, but ran no faster at the track (don't know why).

I once ran 18 psi on pump gas (about 470 rwhp) to see what the car was capable of at this level and still managed a 10.98 on drag radials. With the proper set-up, big hp is not necessary to run very respectable times.
It goes to show that tuning on the dyno is not an exact science when you are looking for real world results. So many things can affect your #'s, ESPECIALLY when dynoing an auto...

-Roberto

·
Registered
763 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
I think it would be very hard to get a Supra (of any year) into the 10's with true street tires. Dragradials yes true street tires no.

Later, Steve
Call me crazy, I was thinking about trying to reach that goal. I have seen people pull off 1.8 - 1.9 60 foot times with regular street tires. I ran an 11.013 with a 2.0 60 foot time on very bald drag radials. So theoretically, I may be able to pull off a 10.99 pass on regular street tires if I can cut a 1.8 or 1.9 60 foot time.

This may not be as simple as I am making it sound. Regular radials will spin a lot more when banging the gears and this could slow times down.

Not sure.

-pete

N

·
0 Posts
Angel put down 650 at the wheels and ran 10's all day and night in Vegas.

take care,
nils

O

·
0 Posts
Jtamulis, reaction time doesn't effect your ET or MPH. This is because the clock doesn't begin timing until your tires clear the beam.

Magic, what psi were you running in your DR's? I can average 1.8-1.9 60ft's with Nitto 24/45/17 DR's but that's only with 256 rwhp. So I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to 60ft faster than 2.0. I know a few of ppl that run their DR's to the cords(I don't recommend it!) and they don't lose very much in their 60's. Just a thought.

Tony

·
Registered
147 Posts
auto vs. 6 speed

I am just amazed at the difference between auto and manual Supras in the 1/4.

Most 6 speed supras need like 700 rwhp just to get a [email protected] but Auto's ned like 580-600 rwhp to get the same times (w/ lower trap).

What are the 60 foot times for a mid 10 second auto and 6-spd?

·
Registered
763 Posts
OneHotLX said:
Jtamulis, reaction time doesn't effect your ET or MPH. This is because the clock doesn't begin timing until your tires clear the beam.

Magic, what psi were you running in your DR's? I can average 1.8-1.9 60ft's with Nitto 24/45/17 DR's but that's only with 256 rwhp. So I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to 60ft faster than 2.0. I know a few of ppl that run their DR's to the cords(I don't recommend it!) and they don't lose very much in their 60's. Just a thought.

Tony
With my tiens set on 14 in the front and 11 on the rear, and 17psi on drag radials with at least a ghost tread I can nail 1.6 to 1.8 60 foot times on almost every pass. I have nailed a 1.602 60 foot time in my car with a ghost tread on my 275/40/17 drag radials with ease.

Maybe when the cords start showing, dropping the tire pressure down to the 14psi range will help?

I have never tried this so I would not know.

-pete

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
95 HARDTOP said:
Stephen Jessie of RTC in Lexington,Ky ran a [email protected] w/ a 1.46 RT on a stock twin car that dynoed 443.
RT doesn't effect 1/4mile time. If that was supposed to be 60ft then he must have had a rocket in the back ;) Any idea what his 60ft was? I can't launch my car for squat :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts