Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· You know I'm retarded...
3,548 Posts
For the safe side, 350-400hp.
All out just like JGTC on Supra 425-550hp

My cousin and half brother has one and they go on MR2OC.com most great infos.

Your friend brother is going to be happy as hell. :D

· Proud MKIII Owner
4,173 Posts
yes.

· Stock turbo sucks
623 Posts
limit is 275-300whp on stock fuel. With upgrading fuel/turbo/IC/ecu the limit is really how good your tuner is and how scary you are willing to go. My buddy just made 421whp on pump at 19psi 100% 135K miles longblock.

· Resident F1 Guru
4,147 Posts
limit is 275-300whp on stock fuel. With upgrading fuel/turbo/IC/ecu the limit is really how good your tuner is and how scary you are willing to go. My buddy just made 421whp on pump at 19psi 100% 135K miles longblock.
Misread the original post. Read stock block instead of bone stock engine. 300whp sounds about right if you are staying on the safe side.

350rwhp in an mr2 is pretty quick.
You honestly dont need any more than 350 wheel in an MR2. The car then becomes dangerous I think. Car is no longer what it was made for.
300whp pushes an MR-2 into Ferrari 348/355 power to weight ratio. Sounds about right no?

· Registered
2,641 Posts
mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

· Car guy
1,017 Posts
You are limited to fuel at 275 rwhp.

If you upgrade the stock pump to Supra or Walbro and go standalone I'd still stay under the 350 rwhp on the gen2 motor. At this power level you will need a better side mount intercooler. Even if you upgrade to a Greddy or comparable sidemount you still need to stay under the 350 rwhp range.

Biggest problem with an mr2 is keeping the intake temp's down. It will break ringlands very quickly on a long pull.

The gen3 motor is a better platform. I swear its just a 4 cyl. 2jz. I'm making 365 rwhp with a 50 trim turbo, AEM, and meth injection for the past two years. The gen3 is a stout little motor and I really want to push it up to 450-500 rwhp for drag racing. I just need to install a fuel system and a gt35r turbo and let it rip.

· Registered
2,216 Posts
Its too expensive to make power on an MR2. You might as well just build the fucker.
Bolt on's like turbo, intake, exhaust, will only net you about 250whp. Anything after that takes big moves.

Expensive water to air to IC or extensive modded trunk mount.
Cams/Gears installed and tuned is about 2k
Stock fuel is terrible
Stock intake manifold is horrible
Have to go standalone to get rid of that bottleneck of a MAF sensor.
You can pretty much kiss any high mileage transmission goodbye. Notchy gears and shot clutch.

After all that, the block is good for about 400whp safely.

I say start somewhere else.

· Resident F1 Guru
4,147 Posts
You are limited to fuel at 275 rwhp.

If you upgrade the stock pump to Supra or Walbro and go standalone I'd still stay under the 350 rwhp on the gen2 motor. At this power level you will need a better side mount intercooler. Even if you upgrade to a Greddy or comparable sidemount you still need to stay under the 350 rwhp range.

Biggest problem with an mr2 is keeping the intake temp's down. It will break ringlands very quickly on a long pull.

The gen3 motor is a better platform. I swear its just a 4 cyl. 2jz. I'm making 365 rwhp with a 50 trim turbo, AEM, and meth injection for the past two years. The gen3 is a stout little motor and I really want to push it up to 450-500 rwhp for drag racing. I just need to install a fuel system and a gt35r turbo and let it rip.
tr00f.

@Danner, it's expensive to make power because of the platforms they were released in on this side of the world.

· Registered
958 Posts
Its too expensive to make power on an MR2. You might as well just build the fucker.
Bolt on's like turbo, intake, exhaust, will only net you about 250whp. Anything after that takes big moves.

Stock fuel is terrible
You can pretty much kiss any high mileage transmission goodbye. Notchy gears and shot clutch.

I disagree with this characterization, or at least the reasons given.

An upgraded sidemount isn't super expensive and people have pushed close to 400whp with them. Yes, you need a trunk mount for "big" power, but at that point, any platform would need extensive cooling mods. People are also getting around the limitations of the sidemount by using inexpensive water or meth injection setups.

Cams/gears are no more expensive than comparable platforms. If you are cheap, you can drop in 3sge NA cams or gen 3 turbo cams. Then again, you can not mod the cams at all and still make over 400whp (not common, but possible).

Stock fuel is terrible? I guess. What platform can you make "big power" with on stock fuel?

Intake manifold? Seems to be good to 576whp: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=345051

The transmissions will wear just like any other car. But generally they are bulletproof. The later updated 93'+ transmissions like drag racing more than the earlier ones. But otherwise, all the 9-second Mr2's are running stocks trans. If you need visual confirmation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw408w2f_HQ&feature=channel

And if you really feel like any of the above are limitations, you have the simple option of swapping in a gen3 and solving all of the above problems: stock WtA intercooling possible from the GT-Four engine, better cams, larger injectors, better intake manifold, no MAF, and dual cone synchros in the trans.

I don't know what you are comparing it to, but I don't know of another platform that isn't 10-15 years newer that can do what the 3sgte does. As John said above, a gen3 3sgte is very comparable in design and build quality to a 2jz, and makes comparable power relative to it's size. :chicken:

· Stock turbo sucks
623 Posts

Stock fuel is terrible

LOL you have no idea lol. BTW there's a MR2 running 9's with a stock intake mani. As for the trans doesn't that go for any car? People run 600+ on stock LSD trans and for the point you made shot clutch?!?!?!?!

I guess with you coming from the EVO world might be a little biased. But there have been people who have ran 350+WHP on STOCK FUEL with 100% METH set-ups on stock Gen 2 fueling (aka 440cc injectors)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.