Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a mkiv manual TT

had the car up on the hoist a few weeks ago and noticed that with the gearbox in neutral i could turn the driveshaft about 33 degrees with my bare hands (equivalent of say 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock - maybe 3 o'clock).

was just wondering if anyone knows if this amount of rotation freeplay in the driveshaft is normal?

i'm wondering if this freeplay is the cause or contributing to my wheel hop?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daledoe said:
If its in neutral you should be able to move it all the way around. Think of it this way, if your car is in neutral and your on a hill you roll. The tranny isn't in a gear so everything just spins.
thanks for the reply, i should add it was on the hoist with the rear tyres on the platform, that is the rear tyres were not able to turn, the gear stick was in neutral, and i was able to turn the driveshaft partly before feeling any resistance - which makes me wonder if this is normal or not as it doesn't seem to be normal - why would toyota design the drive line with this much freeplay in it?

·
Bad RSP supra
1,089 Posts
when ur car is in gear or park when shut off you can push the car back and fourth some so that should be the 33 degrees

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Larrabee said:
when ur car is in gear or park when shut off you can push the car back and fourth some so that should be the 33 degrees

thanks for that, but i'd really like to hear from some who has had their car on a hoist recently and seen how much freeplay they have or don't have

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
jasonlee said:
thanks for that, but i'd really like to hear from some who has had their car on a hoist recently and seen how much freeplay they have or don't have

hello..i have had my car on a lift and have also turned the drive shaft...mine turned alot more then i thought it would sorta like yours...idk if i could turn it all the way to 2 or 3 o'clock but it was a while ago i cant remember exactly...but i know it turned alot to where i got a little worried...then we put my friends up on the lift and his drive shaft had the same amount of play in it...both cars stock rear 6 spd all original ... i made a post about this a while back and alot of people told me its perfectly normal...so i dont think much of it now...

also alot of people get worried when they hear noises or vibrations coming from the rear or under the car and its usually the little play in the driveshaft...i notice sometimes it makes the 6 spd feel a little rough in traffic...but also everyone says its just becasue the drivetrain is so beefy it is very clunky and noisy....i dont think you have to worry...

hope this helps..

Ant

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IcedSuPrA said:
hello..i have had my car on a lift and have also turned the drive shaft...mine turned alot more then i thought it would sorta like yours...idk if i could turn it all the way to 2 or 3 o'clock but it was a while ago i cant remember exactly...but i know it turned alot to where i got a little worried...then we put my friends up on the lift and his drive shaft had the same amount of play in it...both cars stock rear 6 spd all original ... i made a post about this a while back and alot of people told me its perfectly normal...so i dont think much of it now...

also alot of people get worried when they hear noises or vibrations coming from the rear or under the car and its usually the little play in the driveshaft...i notice sometimes it makes the 6 spd feel a little rough in traffic...but also everyone says its just becasue the drivetrain is so beefy it is very clunky and noisy....i dont think you have to worry...

hope this helps..

Ant

thanks dude! was begining to think the freeplay was the cause of the wheel hop problem i have, guess not.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Daledoe said:
How bads your wheel hop problem???
very! i can't launch it hard without the rear tyres hopping badly - it seems lots of people have this problem with supras and no one has really found the definitive solution - short of 15 inch rims and huge soft sidewalled drag tyres.

i was thinking maybe it's to do with freeplay in the drive shaft??

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
jasonlee said:
very! i can't launch it hard without the rear tyres hopping badly - it seems lots of people have this problem with supras and no one has really found the definitive solution - short of 15 inch rims and huge soft sidewalled drag tyres.

i was thinking maybe it's to do with freeplay in the drive shaft??

i have some wheel hop but its not very bad and i am 95% sure that its because of my old worn out stock sized rear tires...the more and more my rear tires get worn the morew wheel hop i get...im switching rims and tires soon hopefully it will correct my problem...also i changed all my sway bar bushings and links fropnt and rear becasue they were bad..havent driven the car yt but maybe that will help my wheel hop also..

good luck

Ant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts