Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much HP would you recommend as a maximum for a street driven supra? im thinking around 850-900 but i am wondering if anyone is in the thousands and finds it okay...what would be an optimal (rather than maximum) level?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I agree with your guess 850-900 sounds good to me.
just a t-78, 4 core intercooler, 850 cc, cam gears, ported intake.... done deal

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
1100-1200rwhp tops.....anything more would be just silly! haha

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
street driven??? does that mean once a week for fun, or daily driver, to and from work?

·
Registered
111 Posts
breakemlose said:
I agree with your guess 850-900 sounds good to me.
just a t-78, 4 core intercooler, 850 cc, cam gears, ported intake.... done deal
If you are talking about rwhp, a T78 will get you no where near 850rwhp. It gets maxed out around 700 and it could prolly be stretched a little further but definetly not 850. It takes a T88 or bigger to get close to that, and that is with some of the best tuning around.

About the question... basically everyone that goes single has traction problems with street tires. You will find that most of them have to run drag radials. I remember hearing that basically anything over 550rwhp is a waste on street tires from a stop, a roll is totally different. It also matters what kind of driver you are. There are a lot of people who have problems controlling a stock supra. Honestly, if someone is asking how much people recommend as the max power for the street, they usually aren't the few that could actually handle 850rwhp.

-Amir

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that sometimes numbers are thrown around without regard to exactly what they mean and the responcibility that goes with them. I also think that forcefeed has a valid point. Not a lot of people can handle the big hp. There are some folks that run around town with an 800 rwhp firebreather, but the fact is that not a lot of people can deal with that kind of power. Bro, 850, even something like 550, is almost unimaginable to 98% of the drivers on the road. That's a lot of juice.

I'm not sure that a daily driven Supra with, say 600 rwhp, should have a smaller, qwick spooling turbo. I have a T-78 that hits hard at 4500 rpm, and is approaching 500 rwhp on stock fuel. It's very predictable and passing is a breeze even when the turbo doesn't deliver it's full force. I think that if I had a smaller turbo, it would come on a lot sooner and making it in turn trickier to drive in town. Nothing will make you up in the morning like the full kick of 500 rwhp riding right up some grandma in a minivans rear end. All this is just my opinion, of course and there are some that will disagree.

Eric

T-78

1 - 10 of 10 Posts