Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'v been working on my 87 mkIII Turbo for a few years, mostly waiting for money to come in. Well life threw me a curve ball and i have to move again this year, and doubt i'll find a place to store it anymore, let alone money to restore it now. Plus i need the money to be able to move by end of the month.

car is stripped. and in parts. ie nothing in car but a dash and steering wheel, no engine, nothing in engine bay ect. awaiting a paintjob that has yet to ever come about. i have all the parts boxed up and so on.

How much should i sell the car for whole. with all parts. it's basically just an empty shell with no paint.
or would i get more money by just parting it out? the only thing wrong with the car other than an BHG is it needed a new steering rack, as the boots busted. a long time ago.

I know this is a great project car for someone, the hard part of taking everything off and sanding the car down is done. i just dont want to give away my car for way less than i should as i have no idea what it's monetary worth is. now as it sits.

So whats your ideas. plus i would like to give fellow members a chance to get the car. vs someone off the streets.

· Impeller Head
2,976 Posts
My opinion, if you have a bunch of new aftermafket parts, part it out. If you have stock parts, put it back together, get it running again, then sell it as a whole running car. The way it is now, if you were to sell it, I think you'd be lucky to get 1500.00 for it. HTH.

· GT-R DUN, Son.
2,661 Posts
Also remember that you took it apart. Lets say some 18 year old kid buys it as a project car, they wont have a clue as to where stuff goes even with a manual. Unless you bagged and tagged everything EXACTLY, you will be doing email/phone rebuild with your new buyer.

Ditto on what Ron said regards to value. Especially in these economic times. Its not a 90 or 91 either..so IMHO I'd see if you could part if for more than $1500..else...eh..man..rough. good luck with it.

· I Love Lamp...
3,837 Posts
Unless if its clean in a somewhat uncommon way, you will almost always get more money parting out.

Since you said it needs paint I would part instead of put it back together.

Only thing is, part outs are a complete bitch and can take a long time.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car is down to bare metal, i had sanded off 90% the old paint, in prepping it for a new paint job, and custom body work i wanted to do, needs a new engine, and an engine put back into it. I really had to sell it. Though i dont think i'll be able to find a place to store it. or find a house i can afford with a garage. so kinda depends on what kind of housing i can find. apts wont let me store it.

i figure i could get more money out of parting it. but i dont have the time to part out everything. everything is stock on the car other than the rims and tires.

i put an ad on CL for 500 had alot of replys. though made me seem like the price was way to low if i got that many hits. i'll try again for 1500. the rubber alone ran me over 600 and the damned car died a month later. so i know just the tires and rims can go for 500. or more.

had quite a few hits for the R154 tranny but no idea what that goes for.

just this whole having to move thing has me fucked over.

· GT-R DUN, Son.
2,661 Posts
there you go...try it for 1500 then. I'd say 500 is a bargain if I owned a MKIII and needed a parts car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.