Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
Doesn't this depedn on the driver and how hard/fast they can shift??

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
Shifting hard has very little effect on 1/4 time. the difference between powershifting and just shifting fast is powershifting kills a tranny a hell of alot quicker...its all in the launch...

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
"Shifting hard has very little effect on 1/4 time. the difference between powershifting and just shifting fast is powershifting kills a tranny a hell of alot quicker...its all in the launch..."

Powershifting will knock about a 1-2 tenths off your times.

When new the auto was faster because it can build boost off the line and didn't lose boost on the shifts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
????

now i already know i'm a dumbass so you guys can leave that part out of your answer, but what is powershifting, is it when you shift without using the clutch??

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
what defines powershifting from shifting fast. sorry if this is a stupid question but ive just never been told

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Power shifting is where you slam the gas down in 2nd for example, and then when it is time to shift to 3rd you keep the gas hammered and slam the clutch in and shift to 3rd. The second the clutch is disengaged the engine will rev up a bit from you holding the gas down all the way.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
I believe powershifting is more like grab/lift/bang and on the gas again. You don't use the clutch at all, just back off the motor for a second while you slam from gear to gear.
I still use the clutch, and shift fast as possible, but I'm not going to ruin my transmission just for a few hundreths of time. My car is not a drag racer anyway. (It is more for fun all-around driving, and it happens to be quick too.) I think most of the Supra's out there are faster say from 30 to 120 than most of the other cars on the road. Some are faster from 30 to 150 :)
BTW, the fastest drag cars are "automatics".

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
but is the death of a tranny worth the 1/10 of a second? well, i guess every little bit counts

S

·
0 Posts
Anyone with an automatic that would like to try a new part please PM me. First person with somewhat of a clue gets to play with it for me if they dont mind.....thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts