Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'94 Supra TT, 6-speed, BPU, 133,000 miles. Currently not running. Started to disassemble the stock twins, but got busy with work/Navy (i.e. flight school, deployment). The stock twins themselves are on the car, but all of the hardware on top is off (still have most of the hardware). Needs valve stem seal job done. Good compression on all cylinders. In all honesty, it needs a refresh to get running.

Now some other caveats:

No hood.
Rainshield/plastic piece right at the base of the windshield is gone because it was old/cracked, and I took it off with the intention of replacing it but never did.
No seats. Sold 'em. :)

...and the real bummer - rebuilt title. :( This car was a theft-recovery, later found with the transmission missing. Has an OEM Getrag in it currently.

Some pluses - it has a downpipe and HKS Carbon Ti exhaust, as well as a Profec B boost controller, and 17" Blitz 03 wheels with new tires.

This car is paid for, and I'm just wanting to possibly find an owner who'd be willing to take on a mild project. The body is straight and stock, and I drove it for 40,000 miles with absolutely no issues besides minor oil consumption (due to valve stem seals).

So, as it sits, what do you figure is a safe starting point for negotiating? I have no delusions of selling this car for top dollar.

·
Super Moderator
11,560 Posts
What color? What interior? How does the bodywork, paint, and interior look? All VIN numbers present?

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What color? What interior? How does the bodywork, paint, and interior look? All VIN numbers present?
It's black. The interior (stock) was tan. I've sold the seats. The carpet is dyed black. The paint is fairly decent with some minor spots here and there where you can see surface rust. The interior is fine dash-wise. The dash panels have all been resurfaced and painted a neutral gray color, and it's got a TRD tach and C's short shifter.

VIN tags:

Front fenders, firewall stamp, front dash, driver door. The rest are missing. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,560 Posts
With the branded title, no hood & other parts missing, 'some assembly required' on the turbo setup, the valve stem seals going out, some rust issues, and the fact that it's a 133k mile car..

If it's a factory TT hardtop, I'd say it might bring 16-17k based on that rarity but that's a stretch and that's also assuming that the rest of the car (trans, clutch, brakes, tires, wheels, diff, bushings, etc) are all in good shape and don't need any work.

Assuming that there are many similar little problems 'to be discovered' which is typical of 'mild project' cars like this - I'd honestly give it 13-14k tops. It is a factory TT 6-spd and it is almost complete, which counts for something, but it is compromised and does need a lot of work.
Running/driving TT 6-spd targas in the same color scheme with similar mileage & clean title history have changed hands recently for the 19-21k range. So if you want it to move quickly, you're going to have to make it worth someone's time financially to consider your project car over a running/driving example.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
With the branded title, no hood & other parts missing, 'some assembly required' on the turbo setup, the valve stem seals going out, some rust issues, and the fact that it's a 133k mile car..

If it's a factory TT hardtop, I'd say it might bring 16-17k based on that rarity but that's a stretch and that's also assuming that the rest of the car (trans, clutch, brakes, tires, wheels, diff, bushings, etc) are all in good shape and don't need any work.

Assuming that there are many similar little problems 'to be discovered' which is typical of 'mild project' cars like this - I'd honestly give it 13-14k tops. It is a factory TT 6-spd and it is almost complete, which counts for something, but it is compromised and does need a lot of work.
Running/driving TT 6-spd targas in the same color scheme with similar mileage & clean title history have changed hands recently for the 19-21k range. So if you want it to move quickly, you're going to have to make it worth someone's time financially to consider your project car over a running/driving example.
Very well said.

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of your inputs - I've just come to the realization that when I was first in the market for this car, I jumped a little too quick at the first deal I found and it's ended up costing me. I'm still 50/50 on whether or not I'll get it running and flip it, because I don't really think I can recoup the costs of doing that. I am in a position to buy a better car, but I'd like to have this one out of my garage before I do that.

Pictures can be found at: http://fourotwo.imgur.com/supra#cB2rH

·
Supra372
486 Posts
The best thing to do would be to get the car running as cheaply as possible, then sell it. Otherwise, ask as much as you possibly can, and take the best offer. Advertise as many places as possible and negotiate well.

No one wants to give you a price because there are no pictures, give us pictures.

I agree! If your financially able to get the car running, by all means do so! Your cutting yourself short, if your thinking about selling it as it sits.

·
Super Moderator
11,560 Posts
That doesn't look too bad at all! The carpet dye job looks like it didn't last too well, but otherwise it looks pretty good. LOL @ your vanity plate!

Get it running, get a hood and all the missing parts for it, and you'll get a much faster and much more lucrative sale - seriously. If it's running well, has a healthy 6-spd, and it's all together in a running package that needs some TLC, a HELL of a lot more buyers would be interested. When more buyers are interested, the price goes up...

I truly believe accomplishing that would cost much less than the difference in sale price would be. It would certainly be worth your time to do, if in fact you have time to do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts