Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering at what price would you pay someone to do the entire TT Swap? Thats the engine, Tranny, ECU/Harness Wiring.

Also, what are some of your main concerns with this type of swap? Whats the hardest part to find - a reasonably priced TT engine or someone competent and affordable to do the work?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brown Duckz said:
I'd say no more than $2k.. as long as you had the US ECU/Harness.
That's funny, cause you ask any "reputalbe shop" and they'll charge you easily $3k+ Especially if they have to wire up the JDM Engine.

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
2,201 Posts
begone said:
That's funny, cause you ask any "reputalbe shop" and they'll charge you easily $3k+ Especially if they have to wire up the JDM Engine.
Well $3k isn't too bad.. especially if they do absolutely EVERYTHING. The JDM harness is also a bit more trouble -so cost can add up here and there. Do you already have the complete parts swap?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Get some friends over buy beer and food work and laught togheter. pay your friends $250 each.

I friend of my did pay once a shop to do a engine swap for a TT enigne, he paid $3500.I was there a few time they work like 1 hour stop 1 hours stop.They charge him for 4 days work (1 day for tranny 1 day for engine 2 days for harness)
But if they worked 7 hours straight on it they could have had the car ready in 2 days.
If you plan to pay someone see his work.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
I did it all myself, including the initial pull of the old motor. It wasn't hard, just frustrating at the end (fighting with some ground issues now).

If you had all the parts ready to go, you could do the swap in a weekend, especially with help.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MadMaxx said:
I did it all myself, including the initial pull of the old motor. It wasn't hard, just frustrating at the end (fighting with some ground issues now).

If you had all the parts ready to go, you could do the swap in a weekend, especially with help.
See you used the USDM ECU/Harness right? What really gets people is the JDM Harness and having to extend it. Thats when the labor can get pretty high on these things.

Well the reason I'm asking is cause my car is almost finished. My mechanic has Extended the JDM Harness, TT Swap, and is using my NA SP Built Tranny. Along with Fabricating a Downpipe to my Catback 3" Exhaust. He's really done some good work and has saved me alot of money. The Tranny has been an issue due to the fact that the JDM TT ECU cannot control the NA Tranny. But he's got it working. He's pretty dang good at this wiring thing. I'm not sure but I think he's using my NA ECU as a piggy back to just control the SP Built Tranny. That was an idea but I'm not sure if he went through with it or not. He may have figured it out already. But when I drove it the other day it was very strong. He just still needed to get the kick down cable dialed up, and finish up the last few tasks.

The reason I ask is cause he's giving me a very fair price to do all this work. Actually pretty unheard of prices. And if you did had all the parts with the USDM ECU/Harness, Tranny, Engine and all related parts, he could probably do it for even cheaper. But we'll see what it comes out to when it's all said and done. But get ready to call this guy if you are interested in doing this type of swap and are in the Dallas Area, or willing to travel....

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agreee get some beer and a few friends that know about cars...
and pull that bad boy out..
I am planning on swapping to US SPEC 2JZGTE
I have the motor in my backyard..
I found a smashed supra in Queens,NY..
paid 5 grand....
got everything except for the 6 sp setup trans;6sp ecu and dash
I got the rear end, brakes all around , complete supension all wiring front to rear with fuse boxes...shit...
wires I didnt even know existed....
anyways....pulling the motor from the smashed supra with 3 guys..
took 2-3 hours...car was on its belly when it got towed out
I even dropped the subframe...I have so much stuff on hand..
dont know what I am going to have left over as yet....Just make sure you have friends that wont break anything....thats all...
rick

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hardtopsilver said:
3k is a pretty good price
It is. But I'm getting it done for WAY less than $3k. He's almost done...it's driving me crazy. I should have never test drove it this last weekend! This is the longest week ever. Should be done by Friday....*crossing fingers*. But I'll keep you guys updated, with of course pics and details on all specifics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts