Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how long you should go in between changes... and since i don't know when it was changed last i think i will get around to it. And how much do they run you?
Is it in the tank or outside?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
89 Black Beauty said:
I'm not sure how long you should go in between changes... and since i don't know when it was changed last i think i will get around to it. And how much do they run you?

Thanks all.
well rule of thumb is to change it every 15-20k miles but most people don't change it until it give them problems ... our filter is above the diff i forget if its on the passenger or driver side...

·
Back to boosting!
339 Posts
In this car, almost never is about the interval I'll go with. Rarely is the filter the problem. So unless you are 99.9% sure that your filter is clogged and messin you up, don't change it. It's a PITA anyway...

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
89 Black Beauty said:

Thanks all.
Fuel Filter

:rockon:

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
animantoric said:
In this car, almost never is about the interval I'll go with. Rarely is the filter the problem. So unless you are 99.9% sure that your filter is clogged and messin you up, don't change it. It's a PITA anyway...
Toyota planned for it to never be changed. Not even any directions for it in the TSRM!

from the link Jason T posted:
The filter is attached to the chassis above the diff, and forward of the rail which runs across the car in front of the petrol tank. You don't need to drop the petrol tank to get at the filter, but access may be difficult if you don't.
access is difficult even if you DO drop the tank. If you don't HAVE to change it for some reason, I wouldn't -- unless you're just REALLY bored or something ;)

viper_jr said:
It was a one-minute job to change it.

Once the differential, suspension pieces and subframe are off of the car.

also, here's a link with some more pics/info:

AlexL said:
I think this was just asked a few days ago. Here's instructions, credit goes to Interex_87:

http://users3.ev1.net/~hmillerjr/ff/

-- Alex
HTH :)

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
MKIIINA said:
good point......I had forgotten about that. It also brings up the problem with my Supra, a very rusted tank. Fuel pump was seized from rust plugging the sock, even after cleaning, and then scouring with acid, the new sock on the new pump got plugged 3 times, finally had to be replaced. I put a new filter in the first time the tank was out,for the new fuel pump, haven't worried about it since, probably didn't need to replace it then.

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
animantoric said:
^ AGREED, don't mess with it. I never changed it on the 2 Supras I owned/own. No mention of it (location or service interval) in 2 different years TSRM's either.
I read an article by a Toyota engineer that the OEM fuel filter was designed to last for the life of the car. Look where it's mounted. < done for a reason according to the article.
~ mike

·
Registered
419 Posts
at toyota they said they dont need to be changed. i dont know why thought but thats what they said.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
another trick is to not let it get down to the fuel light where is it sucking up the crap from the bottom of the tank. mine was taken off last winter. went from the car to the dont need this anymore box.
fwiw, i pulled mine off at the 100k mark and all kinds of crap came out if it when i shook it.

dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts