Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got that damn waterfall behind dash prob...I dont think its a BHG becuase i had a compression test done and i pulled the cap off the radiator and there were no bubbles. However i have been told that you can park on a hill, pull the cap, and allow the cooling system to flush the air out by itself. Problem is i dont have any really steep nearby hills and i dont want to go to one and wait hours for my sup to cool...What would be a good angle to park on, does it need to be really steep or just a little bit? Thanks for the help with this retarded question.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i dont know about that idea but y dont u just jack the car up and put the front on jack stands?? i think that would work a little better i live in fl and there are no hills over here either...

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
I've found a foot or two is fine. Just start it when cold leave the cap off and slowly keep filling. You'll know when the thermostat opens, top it off, put the cap on, done.

A lot of time what happens with a bhg is it'll only leak under higher rpms and it'll over-pressurize the coolant system and when you stop you'll get water out of the reservoir overflow tube.

S

·
0 Posts
invest a little money in some rhino ramps; the steel kind.

I did, so far; the best investment i've made.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
A steep enough hill where if you didn't use the brake when leaving from a stop you would roll back (steep enough so the automatic just holds its ground without driving forward)

S

·
0 Posts
Blah...pointing the nose up hasn't really worked for me very well.

Air bubbles will only go downhill, if the coolant is flowing fast enough, to overcome their buoyancy. It doesn't matter where the highest point is, since they will never get there on their own. So you have to rev the daylights out of the engine, to purge anything at the rear of the head with the "nose up" technique. The bubbles stay in the radiator because it is very large, and the coolant flows very slowly there, hence it cannot push the air bubbles down.

What I'd suggest is get a T-fitting, and stick it in the rear heater hose coming from the cylinder head. That is the highest point of the whole system.

See this picture, it's on labeled on the left by the firewall:
http://www.ma70.com/7mlayout1.jpg

The T-fitting is a 5/8" size and is available at just about any car parts store (can't find a picture of one right now).

Fill the system like normal, open up the T-fitting and any air will come out of there. Keep filling the radiator and once it's full, close it up, and fill the rest through the T-fitting. Close the T-fitting.

Finally, remove the upper turbocharger cooling hose, where it attaches to the thermostat housing, and squeeze the big coolant hose that runs to the radiator (with the engine off). This will puke out any air from the thermostat housing. While holding the big tube squeezed (it will dribble some coolant out) reinstall the turbo hose.

It's a lot easier than it sounds. :)

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
The only problem with revving the bejezus out of the engine is I find the coolant will occasionally spurt out making a big mess. I just idle it for a while, then fill it up. Then drive it around and let it sit on the hill for a few hours. Open the cap, and fill it to the top if it isn;t already. Once most of the air is out, it should pretty much purge itself with the overflow bottle...

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Shawndude said:
Blah...pointing the nose up hasn't really worked for me very well.
Same here. Well, actually, I never tried. I originally filled my car with some water and cleaning crap with the intention of properly burping it later on.
That didn’t happen, and I didn’t bother because by this time I had devolved a coolant leak. Then I drained a gallon of water from the block and added coolant in (it was getting cold). Still didn’t burp.
I finally fixed the leak (drained another 1/2 gallon and then put it back in the radiator) and I have been too lazy to flush the system out. Never once did I have any bubbles or sounds coming from the car. I had to add a little bit of coolant to the overflow tank each time, but that was it.

Although on another note, a friend of mine spent ~2 hours trying to burp his with the nose ~2' in the air, and he still has the waterfall in the dash (no, its not a BHG). He is just cursed I guess.

M

·
0 Posts
take a 2L bottle, cut the very bottom of it off and stick it into where the radiator cap goes. it should hold all the coolant in and let the bubbles come out too without splashing all over the place :)

melloboy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts