Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I ran there I had a setup with the wastegate plumbed into the exhaust but now its dumped to atmosphere. Their own house rules say that cars with open exhaust cannot be louder than 103dB measured from 50' away. But that honestly tells me nothing, I tried to look stuff up but all i could find is that a jackhammer is 98db and standing next to a train is 108db so if falls between that. :D So does anyone know how loud a supra is with open dump? I don't want to have to plumb this back in just for this event. Anyone have a tempoary fix if it is indeed louder than 103db, like a small muffler on the dump tube or something?
Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
a single with a open wastegate is LOUUUUD way past 103 and they are strict. Theres a X Marine that drives around in a golf cart and kiks anyones ass that is doing something wrong.

u can lift right infront of the meter wich is about 50 yards past the finish line on the left. Or put a lawn mower exhuast on your wastegate (could work) or plumb it back in. But if your over you get 3 chances. Then your done. for the day

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Since you have been there before you know about the close proximity of the houses to the track and can understand why sound control is a big deal at Roebling. I know the ex-marine and he is a nice guy if you stay within the rules but yep, blow sound x 3 and you are done. You just can't replicate at another location what Db you would hit there or for that matter it can change based on weather conditions at the track. Good luck getting it quiet enough.

Barry H.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this is what the head guy of the event told me when I asked:

"As many race-prepped cars and straight-through exhausts as we've had come to our events, we've never had anyone questioned about noise level. The only exception to that is on Sunday's during lunch, it is considered 'quiet hour' and no un-muffled cars are allowed to be run during that period (i.e. no touring laps)."

So now I am kinda confused. What do you think.

Mike

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I can only assume that you are talking aboutt driving the car at a DE. The question is whether the track itself will be running sound control at the event or not. You might ask that. The no loud cars during quiet time is the same they do at Road Atlanta. Muffled street cars are allowed to continue running at the Panoz track events and I think they just do a seat of the pants evaluation as to whether a car is too loud or not for quiet time hours. Sound control or no though if it is obnoxiously loud you could still draw fire db meter or not. As to a lot of race cars running at Roebling no problem that is probably because they are use to the 103db rule and their car comes in under the cutoff. They probably still can't run during "quiet time" though.

I know Barber uses their own sound control at all events but didn't when they first opened up. HSR put on an event in early 03 and in one run group there were two Spice 3 rotor wankel Camel GT lite prototypes running. I was working corners and those things were god awful loud as hell. Having spent many hours on turns those suckers were blowing the 103db by a huge margin. Barber caught flak for the noise. HSR is back this weekend after a hiatus but I can bet you those cars will either not be there or will be muffled.

Barry H.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts