Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got all the interior bolts out from under the dash (4 in total) I removed the master cylinder completely. There is nothing in the engine bay at all, and I see nothing else to remove. The booster wiggles a bit, barely, but it doesn't budge at all. Can someone please tell me what I am forgetting as I don't see anything else.

I checked the TSRM and I don't remember seeing anything else I needed to do with this. This is the last piece of anything left in my engine bay and I'd like to get it out! Thanks!

Alex

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why do I have to remove the brake pedal? There is nothing attaching it to the booster that would make it so solidly stuck. I removed the little pin, and slide-through bolt if that is what you are referring to, but that made no difference.

That pushrod is currently dangling, and it made no difference when I detached it.

Alex

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Funny you should post this thread. I'm pulling my brake booster later today... I'll let you know how it goes..

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's not just the 4 bolts, one of them is double. You need to drop the steering column. There is a bracket that run between steering column and the dash. once you remove that you will see another screw for the booster. So here is how it goes

1: remove all four booster bolts (12mm)
2: remove the pin attaching booster to the pedal
3: remove both trays under the steering column (10mm)
4: open the front of the dash panel
5: remove 4 bolts of the steering column (14mm)
6: remove the bracket bolt (12mm)
7: remove the last bolt of the booster (12mm)

adil

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like you have everything off then. im sure someone else will be able to help you.
Thanks!

It's not just the 4 bolts, one of them is double. You need to drop the steering column. There is a bracket that run between steering column and the dash. once you remove that you will see another screw for the booster. So here is how it goes

1: remove all four booster bolts (12mm)
2: remove the pin attaching booster to the pedal
3: remove both trays under the steering column (10mm)
4: open the front of the dash panel
5: remove 4 bolts of the steering column (14mm)
6: remove the bracket bolt (12mm)
7: remove the last bolt of the booster (12mm)

adil
Ugh, well that is more of a PITA than I expected. Thanks for the extra info though. I might as well just pull the whole interior now too. Damn you brake booster!!! :)

It's just weird because from looking under the dash I don't see how there could be another bolt hiding. Off to the garage I go.

Alex

·
MONKEY TURBO FTMFW!!!!!
738 Posts
its a PITA to get that nut off u have to loose the bracket from the steering column i had a heck of a time, aint putting that bracket back on, only autos have them

·
It will never run...
584 Posts
Yea major pain in the ass!!! We got the 4 bolts off too, and it wasn't budging. I was asking everyone I knew. Finally...with my friend being in the same boat ( getting the bay painted ) He realized you had to drop the column, and voila! Out it came. I just let him do it for me, lol. Thinking about buying a new one now so it will look perfect.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it sucked. You need to remove basically everything below the steering wheel for it to even drop far enough. After I dropped everything, all under panels and the air duct, it dropped on out. It sure was a big PITA ass though.

I now have an RSP booster, and soon to be painted and cleared bay as well. Thanks for the help guys. :D If I had my camera with me I'd document it step by step.

Anyone appose me leaving that nut off for future reference? If I can just put a spacer instead of the nut it will only require removing the outer four bolts instead of all this mess.

Alex

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
IIRC that extra nut holds a bracket that goes to the metal bar that the dash goes to. That bar is pretty damn beefy though so I don't think its necessary, but.. Your call :)

It was easy to pull my booster out. I already have removed the HVAC unit, dash and all the reinforcements while working on removing unnecesary wiring.. lol

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IIRC that extra nut holds a bracket that goes to the metal bar that the dash goes to. That bar is pretty damn beefy though so I don't think its necessary, but.. Your call :)

It was easy to pull my booster out. I already have removed the HVAC unit, dash and all the reinforcements while working on removing unnecesary wiring.. lol
The nut I am talking about is the 4th one on the inside firewall. The last one that holds the booster on from the inside. I was going to leave the nut that holds that little reinforcement bar, and replace the one right behind it with a spacer.

And lucky you! haha

Alex

·
Registered
820 Posts
only autos have them
mine in 6 speed and it has one

The only reason I put the whole thing is I don't want the flex in the firewall effect the breaking. You can probably find a pic where people actually put the extra support on the master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The nut I am talking about is the 4th one on the inside firewall. The last one that holds the booster on from the inside. I was going to leave the nut that holds that little reinforcement bar, and replace the one right behind it with a spacer.

And lucky you! haha

Alex
Yeah that would definetly work, I was thinking for some reason you were going to leave off all of that. Reading comprehension > me.

Lucky me nothing, lol, I had to remove that much more and have to put that much more back after I'm done with cage and paint work! lol

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
Alex, We both now have RSP brake boosters.:) I got my new one, ($650 :gaysex:) but it was worth it.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alex, We both now have RSP brake boosters. :) I got my new one, ($650 :gaysex:) but it was worth it.
Hahaha, I always assumed the Master cylinder would be more than the booster. Damn! I think I should replace the master though. It sucks having to pick and choose which car to spend the little money I have on, haha.

Your car will prob be done before mine though!

Alex

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
You must be smoking crack.:lol: My car is slated to be done Juvember 32nd 2107 at the rate I'm going.:) The master from Curt is only 125 and the brake master is 80. Go figure.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You must be smoking crack.:lol: My car is slated to be done Juvember 32nd 2107 at the rate I'm going.:) The master from Curt is only 125 and the brake master is 80. Go figure.
Lol, right now it sounds more together than mine. I am stuck due to lack of funds right now though.

Alex

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
Me too. LOL
I have a shell, a office full of parts and and garage that won't barely close.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts