Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· rip supra, new car soon
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm changing the starter on my 89 mkiii, I disconnected the battery, undid both connectors (the black clip and the one that was bolted on) and then I got the bottom through-bolt off, and I've been trying for the past 2 hours to get to the top one. I can barely squeeze my finger under the intake manifold to feel the bolt. i got a wrench on it, but there is ZERO room to rotate the wrench. How did you guys get the top through-bolt off of the starter? do i have to remove anything else to free up room? I've tried getting to it from under the car and from the engine bay, but I just can't seem to get to it, even with extensions and bendable pieces. Any help would be appreciated.

· Destroyer of Turbos
4,882 Posts
/\ bingo. locked myself out over here by accident. but a 2-3 ft extension and a swivel on end. Get the 91+ starter as it has threaded holes to ease install.

· Registered
1,110 Posts
threaded starter is 91 and 92, I just bought a new starter for my 90 and was going to get the 91/92 until I was informed it was almost twice as much.

G

·
for those anoying bolts they are easier to take of with a 18-24 extension from behind the a/c compressor and a 14mm wrench the bottom one is easier from the under side of the car

· LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,225 Posts
Top bolt....

put a floor jack under the tranny and remove the 4 bolts that hold the rear tranny mount to the car. Once those are out, lower the rear of the tranny. This will allow you enough room to get 2 feet of extensions beside the tranny and onto that bolt. Put a wrench on the front bolt to hold, and turn it off.

· rip supra, new car soon
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, i worked on this bitch for 6 hours yesterday, still couldn't get it, I tried swivel ends, etc. etc. etc. didn't do the tranny thing, that was too much for me to do on my driveway that's inclined with only one jack and two jack stands. I just dropped it off at the mechanic this morning. Thanks for the help though, now I know never to f*ck with the starter again. It's worth paying someone else to do it.

· LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,225 Posts
I can get a starter out in about 30 minutes.

It's easy when you drop the rea of the tranny.

Really, you could have bought 2 more stands and had the job done. You're now gong to pay a mechanic $200 to do the job.

Heck.. you're in Irvine.. get a hold of LarryA. I'm sure he's done more than 4 starters in his time.

· Always playing catch up
2,058 Posts
yep, me and my old mechanic did mine, you need a LONG extention and a lift to do it the easiest, thou the blocks idea sounds good if mine goes bad

<l><l>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.