Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys do it on drag radials??? The last time I looked at the tach, around 6k rpm it was spinning fine but then when I pushed it to almost 7k it started hopping..... BTW this occurs when I'm trying to do a burnout at the track. Last time I checked, both my nitto 555r's were at 15 psi.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If your a 6 speed I think it has to do with driver error. I think that older suspension and drivetrain parts can cause wheelho too. You could always start using ET streets.

B

·
0 Posts
Try changing to the BFG Drag Radial it grabs better.

What size tires are they? are you doing a burn out? enough to heat up the tires so they are stickier?

what power are u putting down, and what suspension setup do you have?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Make sure you get water on them, they will spin much easier that way. Also, don't RPM the motor that high, you just want to get them spinning and hot not beat the motor to death doing it. I spin my Nitto DRs for 15 seconds minimum to get them hot :(

I tried ET Streets for the first time the other day, a brand new set. These spun MUCH more smoothly and took VERY little to get them hot. I still had little rubber nubbies on them after the first two runs! My 60ft dropped 3 tenths to 1.6 on the ET Streets too. Be aware that on ETs you cannot simply jump off the throttle at the end of the run, you must back out of it, and the car WILL move aoround some up top:eek: Worth it though, the traction was FAR better.

Now I have to decide - 16inch ETs on RX7 wheels or 17 inch ETs on my spare OEM wheels.:confused:

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VeilsideTT said:
If your a 6 speed I think it has to do with driver error. I think that older suspension and drivetrain parts can cause wheelho too. You could always start using ET streets.
It is a 6 spd. I have 275/40/17 Nitto 555r's. I'm not trying to beat the hell out of my engine, it's just because I've dropped it at 5.5k and the car stalled, the tires just stopped spinning. Period. I'm getting a new drive train in sometime soon. I have the Eiback pro kit with kyb 4-way adjustables that's about 2 years old. When you say ET streets.... you mean slicks?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
You've dropped the clutch at 5K+ in the water box and had it stall?! I can get mine spinning at a much lower RPM and then keep them spinning by keeping RPMs up around 5K. If it begins to bog down I let off the brake and move forward to race. Are you using a line lok? I think that would really help reduce drag in back and certainly keep the rear brakes from heating up! It's one of the next things on my list of to-dos along with removing the Trac stuff.

ET Streets are DOT tires but might as well be slicks :D

B

·
0 Posts
Get a line lock to do the burn out it is the best way to make sure you get the time needed to do a proper burn out.

Also if you use Micky Thompson street e/t's make sure you buy skinnies for the front.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Dana Westover used E/T streets before his new setup and pulled a 1.5 60' running a [email protected]

He switched converter and tires to a 325 BFG Drag and pulled off a 1.39 60' running a [email protected]

Paul E. also said he got quicker with BFG' s than the E/T's too I think but I could be wrong.

That isn't the only times I have heard the BFG hooks better than the E/T.

Yours is six speed I know, but it might be worth it to try the G-force BFG DR trying to shift and keep the car straight with a E/T.

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
Get rid of drag radials on the track is only way to stop wheel hop in a 6 spd. I mean they will hook sometimes...but it only takes one time to blow the rear. And a rear is more expensive then just buying some et streets :) Just my .02

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
Get rid of drag radials on the track is only way to stop wheel hop in a 6 spd. I mean they will hook sometimes...but it only takes one time to blow the rear. And a rear is more expensive then just buying some et streets :) Just my .02

PLEASE listen to Tony...don't ask me how I know :rolleyes: When he and Matt give advice...most of the time they're right....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yes, drag radials are faster if you are getting traction. This is because the ET streets usually have more rolling resistance. I don't think anyone would agree that the DRs get better traction than ET streets.
And Tony and Jay are right, its not worth risking a rear. Just get some ET streets, save your rear and get better, more consistent traction.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Does anyone actually have a set of the 17 inch et streets that Mickey Thompson is coming out with? I called the manufacturer directly and they said that there was a problem with the first batch, something about the mold being bad. That was about a month ago and they said they will be coming out pretty soon once they get some issues figured out. Anyone heard anything different more recently?

Also I keep hearing people say not to unload the tranny when you are going through the traps on et streets becasue it can get a little squirly, what exaclty should be done then? I go through the traps at just about redline in 4th so should i slowly let off the gas at 6800 rpms? Or shift into 5th then slowly let it out? I guess you definetely don't want to clutch it to drop the rpms.

I am leaning towards the et streets because I don't to deal with broken driveshaft components, since my car wheelhops pretty bad as it is, but I sure as hell don't wanna put it into the wall topend. That video of Angels Alpine silver supra doing 360s down the track topend on et streets keeps popping into my head, kinda scary.:(

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts