Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just ordered the R2 steering rack and pinion bushing kit. I was wondering if anyone has a write up or any pictures of how I can change it.

I can't seem to find any threads on this forum regarding this.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

· Registered
3,745 Posts
How did this work out for you? I have to do this. I heard it was pretty easy.

· Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,845 Posts
It's easy once you find the trick to get the old bushings out. First time took me a while cause I was trying to beat it out but this way is much easier, prob do this in matter of 35mins 2nd time around.

1. unbolt rack
2. thread the bolt and nut on the bushing, and use angled needle nose pillars on the bolt head to pull it out. Might not sound too clear but you'll understand it once your down there cause you can use the angel on the pillars as leverage to pull the old bushing out.

· Registered
3,745 Posts
Thanks. Any noticeable different in steering response when installed?

· Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,845 Posts
Thanks. Any noticeable different in steering response when installed?
Not really unless yours is really worn my came out and was still nice so I didn't notice much. But use some painters tape and mark where the big donut bushing is so that why your steering won't be off by much once you're done. I didn't so my steering wheel was crooked.

· Registered
3,745 Posts
Why havent you straightened your wheel and locked the bushing accordingly or is not that easy?

· Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,845 Posts
Why havent you straightened your wheel and locked the bushing accordingly or is not that easy?
I had to move mine left to right to get to the hard to reach bushing that's on top. so that didn't help, then you when bolt it back on the bolt holes are a bit bigger so you have some play in them, it don't take much to throw the steering wheel off, I've messed around and moving it by a few mm will make a huge difference.

· Registered
3,745 Posts

· Registered
3,745 Posts
dude you so rock. ehy do they not look similar to the smaller bushings here:

· Registered
2,467 Posts
Unless your car is super high mileage I wouldn't bother replacing them. Getting the steering rack out is a PIA. I swapped a rack between 2 cars, both at around 150k, first rack had a decent amount of freeplay, other had almost none and the bushings looked almost new.

· Registered
3,745 Posts
well crap im working on the small ones now and they are a bitch. any tips. i should have even messed with it

· Registered
891 Posts
I just used an extention, socket and hammer to knock them out. My steering wheel wasn't off. I'm not too sure how your wheel was so far off considering the two bolts don't allow the rack to move side to side. my car only has 112k on it and I noticed a difference but I live in the south (very hard on rubber) and my control arm bushings were worn out so that might be the only reason why.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.