Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is for guys who don't wanna use LEDs to change the color. This will involve changing from the OEM green to a white background.

Since the only change is the bulbs themselves, the color spread will be like OEM, work as it came from factory with the rheostat, 100% reversable to the OEM green, and won't matter about the polarity.

The illumination bulbs are #1 and #2 in this picture.

#1 bulb is a green cap bulb and uses 3.4W. p/n#83109-24020
Replacement bulb is blue cap bulb and also uses 3.4W but will appear white.
p/n#83109-12030 (qty3)

#2 bulb is a 1.4W bulb and uses a green cap bulb also. p/n#83109-24010
Replacement bulb is blue cap and also uses 1.4W but will appear white. You can't get it from Toyota. It's a Honda bulb p/n#79629-SR3-003 (qty1)

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case you don't want to order just one item from Honda, The remaining 3 bulbs can also be sourced from Honda. The large blue cap bulbs comes with the holder. The small bulb can be purchased with the holder also.

p/n#37238-SD2-A00 (3.4W bulb w/holder)
p/n#37238-SD2-003 (1.4W bulb w/holder)

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not 100% sure on this but here it goes.

The a/c panel uses five neo-wedge bulbs. I believe it has caps on them also. p/n#84999-70009 for the oem green cap bulbs.

I believe the p/n#84999-70001 is for the blue cap bulbs. I'm going to be converting this on another MKIV in the next month or so and I'll keep you guys posted.

53 Posts
Great info, Joe! After seeing a cluster with drop in LED's in person, I thought it left a lot to be desired. I'll definitely be doing this instead. Curious to see what you're able to do with the climate control as well. Thanks

-Dan

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
LED or not, the cluster takes a quick minute to swap the bulbs.

The A/C dials is the time consuming part that I'm not really willing to undertake. Would be good to know if you can change those to white without the LED soldering work.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is all done without modding the parts on the vehicle. No soldering and all we're doing is going to white background with OEM parts.

Turns out that the 84999-70001 part isn't a us part. I'd probably go with the Nissan/Infiniti p/n#24860-3Y101 for the a/c panel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is some great info! I was thinking about having the full upgrade done by Stu, but may try this first and see how it looks. Really like the idea of a simple bulb swap and everything operating like OEM.

·
Registered
215 Posts
These "white" bulbs will make the gauge look more "white" but it will still have a greenish tint to it. You need to take the gauge face out and sand down the greenish film on the back to get the true white color

1 - 9 of 9 Posts