Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking at Steve J's spreadsheet and wanted to understand something. How do you choose your wheel width?

I know alot of guys are running 9's and 9.5's on the front
and 10's, 10.5's, 11's etc on the back.

But I have been searching and I'm not sure how guys are figuring out what to choose?

Are there some rule of thumbs that help choose what the width difference between front and back should be?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Here's how it came together for me. My decision was based on reading as much as I could find, mostly here but some other resources too, specifically about sizing Supra wheels and finding out what knowledgeable Supra guys here (and gals if any ;) ) think about the effects on handling. It also depends on your purposes, e.g. do you just want it to be good/better than stock on the street, do you want a certain look, drag race, maybe use those new wheels and tires for road course action, autocross; do you have any reason to shoot for less understeer, etc. From there I searched what was readily available from Supra wheel sources, including all the sponsors here; if you look at their "Supra fitments" you may or may not decide that is what you want. Also, decide if you want to buy wheels and get them in a reasonable amount of time, or are you willing to wait many months for imported more rare wheels. I wanted a little wider wheels than the commonly advertised Supra fitments (typ. 9"F and 10"R) and I also wanted to run somewhat wider tires, but I definitely didn't want to roll or cut the fenders; and it all had to fit after I dropped the car about 1-1/4" and did Tein HA coilovers all around. I also didn't want to take too much risk by sizing so close to the absolute limit that it might not fit. So all that lead me to conclude that 9-1/2"F and 10-1/2"R was what I would be happy with. Then it was a matter of finding the offset that would allow those widths (using Steve's fitment chart and double checking with known good fitments that people already had and knew they fit); then I searched for wheels I liked that came in those offsets and found that I had to slightly compromise the offsets to what was available for the couple wheels I narrowed it down to. I probably forgot something in there, but that was my process.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
i chose my wheels in a 18x9 and 18x10 mostly because of the look. also i wanted to run a wider tire in back. find out what wheel you like and see who else runs them. then get the sizes you need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts