Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SP61GT Powered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may sound kind of strange but a friend of mine got a new turbo shortblock assembly through his Autotech teacher in college who was kind of a Toyota buff. It's still in the Toyota box and everything. I made sure to check the tops of the pistons and the turbo oil line fittings on the side and it's definitely a 7M-GTE block and rotating assembly. However it's been in a box in a garage for years and years and although it doesn't have any miles on it (no carbon anywhere), it does have dust and bits all over it. Before I buy it I just wanted to find out if there was anyway to clean it up. Hot tank or something a machine shop can do?

:cliff notes:
how does one go about cleaning up a shortblock assembly that's been sitting in a dirty garage for years?

Thanks for reading

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
NO hot tank, cuz you cant reassemble it with the stock bearings. youll need new oil pump driveshaft bearings for sure. Hot tanking destroys the babbitt.

you could do it with just a bit of Purple power and water... then blow drying w/ compressed air. but, if the engine has been closed up, i wouldnt be TOO worried about it... but if the cam covers were off and no spark plugs in the head and intake/exhaust ports open, i would probably go ahead w/ the cleaning.

good freakin find man! i wish i could find a VIRGIN GTE motor. thatd be so nice... i heart NOS parts!!!

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
boosted-bird said:
it's been in a box in a garage for years and years and although it doesn't have any miles on it (no carbon anywhere), it does have dust and bits all over it.

compressed air :bigok:

·
SP61GT Powered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the replies guys. sorry about the title of the thread I meant to say "shortblock" instead of longblock as it's just the block and rotating assembly. compressed air does sound like a good idea though

Keep the ideas and comments comin' :rockon:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Scour pad + degreaser.

It could possibly take some of the paint off so I suggest re-painting the block.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it was mine .I would take it apart clean everything with hot soapy water , dry with compressed air , then relubricate the rotating assembly . just like any rebuild
you don't want to chance scouring the cylinder walls or crank journals because they are dry from sitting around along time . It's not easy or even possible to get everthing lubed proper without disassembly.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
yeah, I'd be worried about the cylinder walls...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts