Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an FJO wideband 02 sensor and my freshly rebuild turbo went bad and blew oil crap all over my wideband. Now it is not reading at all.
Is there a chance that cleaning the sensor will bring it back to life? If so, what should I clean it with so that I dont damage it even more?
(As expensive as the 02 sensors are I would sure hate to have to buy another one!)
Thanks in advance,

Shane

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I can't make any guarantees, but I sprayed mine lightly with parts cleaner after my engine blew to clean it. It is working fine although it was still working after the engine blew and got oil all over it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Buy a new one. It is a lot cheaper then what can happen from false readings.

John

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
you can NOT clean a o2 sensor. even things on the outside of the sensor will screw up the reading...

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I don't know if they can be rejuvinated after an oil soak or not, but they can be rejuvinated once to remove some lead fouling (resulting from leaded fuel). I am not sure what temperature is ideal, but I know it is <1500 C. I also don't know how best to heat them and still control the temperature, but according to one of the engine development engineers for a major Nascar race team, they can be "cleaned" of lead fouling by some such heating process.

If I were going to try to clean it I'd just use some carburetor cleaner labeled "safe for O2 sensors" if you can find such. Worst case is it won't work.

Afterwards watch for the cycle range and cycle rate at steady-state cruise (assuming you're on the factory ECU). If it is more sluggish than before, you might want to just get a new sensor since they are less than $200, and a blown engine is more.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I ended up cleaning the 02 sensor with some carb cleaner and then blowing it off with an air hose. It is back to life working as good as it ever has.

( I have an AEM EMS and the 02 sensor is reading the same AFR at the same load/rpm as it was before the turbo blew oil all over it.)
:)

Thanks,

Shane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts