Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pulsation in my pedal...a REAL bad pulsation. Thinking the rotors were warped or the pads were destroyed, I took it to the brake shop and the guy quickly found this.

These rotors were ordered from www.irotors.com and I have contacted them
about replacing them, but they aren't open yet today. Everyone says not to get cross drilled, here is your proof.

These rotors have no more than 4000 miles on them.




 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
InTheRed said:
WOW!!!! What brand are those? I just ordered a set of Brembo rotors for mine :doh:
They are from IROTORS but I don't know who makes them. I BELIEVE they are
the same thing as the Brembo from everywhere else.

Cross drilled ricer rotors suck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Ya, the cross drilled rotors on my Z24 cracked after 2 years, i just replaced them with some that are garenteed not to crack.
I heard that you can send them to 300below and have them treated, they will less likley to warpe and ckack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Whoah! That's a pretty severe crack for a practically new rotor. Have you done some intense braking lately like autocrossing? Still, they shouldn't crack because the cross-drilled rotors dissipate heat better by design. Probably a materials defect when they were made. I think I would take all of them off and have them at least checked to see if any of the others have cracks that just haven't surfaced yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I'm even more glad I didn't purchase the Irotors and went with the stock setup!
 

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
Boost Me said:
Whoah! That's a pretty severe crack for a practically new rotor. Have you done some intense braking lately like autocrossing? Still, they shouldn't crack because the cross-drilled rotors dissipate heat better by design. Probably a materials defect when they were made. I think I would take all of them off and have them at least checked to see if any of the others have cracks that just haven't surfaced yet.
Cross drilled rotors crack ALL the time... except mine... they still havent cracked in a long ass time :dunno: I have cross drilled and slotted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,170 Posts
Two things:
- sorry to hear it.
- I've said it before and I'll say it again -- cross-drilled rotors have no place if you want rotors that last.
 

·
J-Spec 4 Life
Joined
·
938 Posts
I was abotu to purchase my rotors from Irotors but thought about what i was getting for $400. New Calipers, brake lines, cross drilled rotors and said NOPE.

I have rotora cross drill/slotted since September last year

I dont' do any autocrossing and I wouldn't say that I do any HEAVY draking maybe a 2-3 100 to 40 mph slow downs a week.

No cracks and rarely any brake dust Axxiss pads Rear and project mu pads Front

Sorry to hear about your experience
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,664 Posts
The right cross-drilled rotors will NOT crack on the street and with light track use. My cast iron Brembos have been on my car since January 1998 and 26,000 miles ago (plus at least six sets of pads). Brembo casts in its holes in the manufacturing process whereas many others do not. It sounds like your rotors were drilled after they were manufactured.

The rotors I have on my car are the same rotors you see on all Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris and any other high performance automobile manufacturer where Brembo is the OEM supplier (they are not the slotted and drilled versions; anything 14-inches and over is either drilled like I have or slotted only; the Porsche rotors, even those that are between 13 and 14 inches in diameter are drilled only). I have many POC friends who have never cracked their drilled OEM Brembo rotor during their track days. If your rotors cracked on the street, regardless of whether they were drilled, something is amiss. Good luck with your new purchase (I'd go with OEM Toyota if I were you; nothing else except the very high-end stuff is better.....for the street or track).

Ken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
That's what I was hoping to hear. I think my drilled Brembo's will be fine, I'm not Autocrossing or anything, just a random high speed slow down or two.
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
InTheRed said:
That's what I was hoping to hear. I think my drilled Brembo's will be fine, I'm not Autocrossing or anything, just a random high speed slow down or two.
That was from a random high speed slowdown or two.


Just FYI, they are replacing them for free, I am just paying for the shipping. Normally they only have a one month warranty, but they felt sorry for me.

I ordered Hawk pads to go with them this time instead of stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,687 Posts
Why bother with cross drilled when they'll just add problems? Like Quick mentioned, it's probably better to get rotors that aren't drilled for daily use. If you really drive that hard you will warp them.

About the only time I see this being an ok option is if you have the cash to replace them as they warp and/or you want to have the nice look of cross drilled and don't care.

Go to the road race section where guys are typically hard on their cars and most of them will tell you the same thing Quick is.
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
silvino said:
Why bother with cross drilled when they'll just add problems? Like Quick mentioned, it's probably better to get rotors that aren't drilled for daily use. If you really drive that hard you will warp them.

About the only time I see this being an ok option is if you have the cash to replace them as they warp and/or you want to have the nice look of cross drilled and don't care.

Go to the road race section where guys are typically hard on their cars and most of them will tell you the same thing Quick is.

I beat the shit out of those things 2 weeks in a row and it shows.
 
G

·
This is great. I have had my I-rotors sitting in my room for the past 4 months waiting to go on my car. So much for that warranty huh.
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
MarksSupra33 said:
This is great. I have had my I-rotors sitting in my room for the past 4 months waiting to go on my car. So much for that warranty huh.

Mark, seriously, you don't drive half as hard as I do. We're talking brake boosting and 180+mph stops.

See this-this is when it happened.

http://home.comcast.net/~braddman3/BradGT67SupravsTA150.wmv

No one buy these unless you drive the car normally, not like me or some of the other psychos on the board.

They were fine until I made them glow red.
 

·
Very Senior Member
Joined
·
10,066 Posts
KenHenderson said:
The right cross-drilled rotors will NOT crack on the street and with light track use. My cast iron Brembos have been on my car since January 1998 and 26,000 miles ago (plus at least six sets of pads). Brembo casts in its holes in the manufacturing process whereas many others do not. It sounds like your rotors were drilled after they were manufactured.

The rotors I have on my car are the same rotors you see on all Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris and any other high performance automobile manufacturer where Brembo is the OEM supplier (they are not the slotted and drilled versions; anything 14-inches and over is either drilled like I have or slotted only; the Porsche rotors, even those that are between 13 and 14 inches in diameter are drilled only). I have many POC friends who have never cracked their drilled OEM Brembo rotor during their track days. If your rotors cracked on the street, regardless of whether they were drilled, something is amiss. Good luck with your new purchase (I'd go with OEM Toyota if I were you; nothing else except the very high-end stuff is better.....for the street or track).

Ken.
I know Ken knows more about this than I do, but make sure you get the terminology here.

If the rotor is DRILLED, it will be more likely to crack.
If holes are CAST in the rotor, it won't be as likely to crack as drilled.

And I agree that most of us can use the stock rotors with great success. :bigthumb:
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top