Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't seem to buy a MKIV!!!Help!!

Supra owners........
I'm still learning alot here which is awesome. I just let that 94 White TT in Raliegh NC on Autotrader slip thru my fingers. This is the 3rd one I lost. What happens is this.........
I usually find a car I like out of state. Coming from a Rotary engine state of mind, I want to get the engine compression tested before I buy. While I'm trying to arrange this, someone comes along and buys the car even before the paperwork begins. I'm sick of this, but I see alot of Supra owners mange to get this test performed. How do I do this? Maybe it's becaue it's a dealer car and there's no time? They all have been so far. I'm scared to go private due to lack of warranty. How do you guys get your cars or is this test not important. BTW, it had 27,931 on the odometer.
I got them down to 26K but the person that got it paid 28K so they said. And I was going to give a deposit but they said I can't unless we agree on a price for the car ahead of time. I really didn't want to agree on a price sight unseen so I guess I'm looking for advice. Help this newbie out! Oh, and I'm not trading in my RX........

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just did a compression test and it's really easy. It took me about 45 minutes start to finish(first time I have done this)and replaced the spark plugs. Any dealer that is serious with you buying the car or a private individual should be able to show you compression test with it being so easy. Just remeber you want all the cylinders wihtin 14psi of each other and 128psi is the lowest value(per the engine manual) they should go.

-TY

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks......

Did you do the check after you bought the car? I would like to check before it's purchased. I just don't want to be stuck with a lemon. I plan to heavily modify the car so should I go for compression numbers closer to 140's? And what do you mean within 28 psi of each other, I'm assuming you mean within each others psi number. Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
DJ

Yes, you want the cylinders with in 14PSI of each other. 128 is the lowest allowable(again per manual). I think that as long as you follow these number you should be OK even really modding the car. If you are going all out(above 600RWHP)I would go with a built engine(Rods, pistons, etc.). Many guys though have put 600+ on a stock block with little problem.
I didn't have it done when I bought the car, but then again I knew the person selling it( he ownes the dealership). In hind sight I might have asked for a check. The 2JZ is a really stong engine and it takes alot of abuse it start breaking things.
I have worked on many FD's(and owned one) and I know why you are worrying so much about the compression . The supra is a different animal.

-TY

T

·
0 Posts
I just did my compression check tonight and it read between 151 and 155 on all cylinders.This is with 98k on the odometer.You should shoot for similar numbers.Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Supra Animal

Again, thanks TY, I do worry due to the "finicky" nature of the Rotary. I still think it's an engineering marvel no matter what.
I plan to get a MKIV A.S.A.P. Tell me if this is right:
- Greedy Power Extreme
- Greddy BCC
- HKS cam gears
- RMM downpipe
- Greddy Boost Controller
- SPI Boost/EGT Gauges
- EGR block plate
I plan on getting these for BPU. Is this right? I don't want a manual bc and I hope I'm not forgeting anything. Steer me in the right direction. Will this yield me 400 rwhp? And do you know when the Power FC will be available for the MKIV? Let me know........

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
i would go with a turbo timer, coming from a background involving rotaries i would imagine you have seen a lot of them since they are so handy, and i would say almost a requirement for extending the life your engine, unless of course one doesn't mind sitting around letting the car idle for a bit.

S

·
0 Posts
i would go witht he fcd instead of bcc...
the greddy bcc wasnt made for supras but for the mr2, i would rather hit boost cut then fuel cut....

that article in MKIV is bullshit in my opinion, i have seen the bcc fail...

get more opinions on the matter, im sure everyone will go against me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
DJ,

That sounds good for about 400RWHP. The Apexi FC is not going to be coming over anytime soon.
As for the BCC or FCD thing. I have seen both work quite well for the supra.
I have a BCC and have never had a problem. The FCD just needs adjusting if you run that.
As for fuel the SAFC or the HKS AFR are really nice to tune the fuel curve. You can also go to a VPC, but
it is expensive, but needed when you go single. :)

-TY

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes Sense

Yeah, thanks kale, I figured a turbo timer was a given but I hear ya!
I think I'm going to go with the Greddy BCC due to the fact that alot of people here run it so if I encountered a problem it would be that much easier to diagnose.
Does anyone know aboutcam gears and if it's only the exhaust side you need? Also, is the EGR block neccesary. And finally the deal with the trac fuse......on the street........at the track. I plan on getting a 6spd. Thanks.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts