Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys, do the gearbox can be installed without taking the engine out of body??
I tried to install r154 with 2jzgte on my MKIV but the bellhousing collide with my car body which make me can't connecting the screws between engine and the bell housing.
Can anyone explain how to install this gearbox on mkiv without pulling the engine out?

Thanks 2 all

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Sam. I assume you have the engine tilted back correct?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Guys, do the gearbox can be installed without taking the engine out of body??
I tried to install r154 with 2jzgte on my MKIV but the bellhousing collide with my car body which make me can't connecting the screws between engine and the bell housing.
Can anyone explain how to install this gearbox on mkiv without pulling the engine out?

Thanks 2 all
Heres is one way of doing it.

Loosen the engine mount bolts and let the engine drop back a little. Not necessary step but helps a bit.

Also, you will not be able to install this transmission if you have already mounted the Clutch to the flywheel. This will cause the problem you are having. ( quite common mistake )
What you need to do is slide the pressure plate/clutch disc on the shaft inside the bellhousing. Then mate the tranny and you will have enough space to get it to bolt up to the engine.
From the side inspection covers on the bell housing, you can start bolting the pressure plate to the flywheel. You will need to turn the engine at the crank to line the pressure plate bolts and dowels.
Tighten the PP bolts i small increments so it goes in uniformly and wont jam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sam. I assume you have the engine tilted back correct?
I didn't understand what you mean, unfortunately I'm not good enough in English but thanks for your interest slither.

Heres is one way of doing it.

Loosen the engine mount bolts and let the engine drop back a little. Not necessary step but helps a bit.

Also, you will not be able to install this transmission if you have already mounted the Clutch to the flywheel. This will cause the problem you are having. ( quite common mistake )
What you need to do is slide the pressure plate/clutch disc on the shaft inside the bellhousing. Then mate the tranny and you will have enough space to get it to bolt up to the engine.
From the side inspection covers on the bell housing, you can start bolting the pressure plate to the flywheel. You will need to turn the engine at the crank to line the pressure plate bolts and dowels.
Tighten the PP bolts i small increments so it goes in uniformly and wont jam.

Finally, it's done and waiting to get my custom drive shaft.
Thank you very much for your explanation SUPRASTANGER. U R awesome :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ok, looking for some clarification on a few things. I just started seaching about swaping in a R154 to a MKIV so I dont know everything, Thats why i'm asking questions. Please dont flame.

When comparing the Soarer R154 (top pic) to the MKIV W58 (bottom pic) the shifter linkage looks very similar. I havent seen it mentioned yet so im asking. Cant you just use the W58 MKIV linkage and put it on the R154? Now I dont have an R154 sitting in front of me, but it appears that the shifter will line up perfectly in the tunnel as it almost looks slightly longer that the soarer linkage.

I have a MKIV with 2JZ-GTE, W58 Trans, NA 5spd Driveshaft and NA 5spd rear end. If I swapped the W58 for a R154, will the rest of my drivetrain work or would i have to swap something out?

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
Unfortunately while they do look somewhat similar, they are nowhere near interchangeable. For one, the entire tail housing on the mk3 R154 is different from the Soarer variant. The W58 tripod base is smaller than the R154 so it won't bolt to the top of the trans, and there is no location on the mk3 R154 to bolt the lower arms of the tripod to (there's not even a blank spot you can drill, there's just nothing there). Also the W58 is shorter than the R154 so its tripod extends farther back.

Also, to swap the w58 for the r154 you need to swap the front half of the driveshaft out, because of the length difference and also the yokes are different.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Unfortunately while they do look somewhat similar, they are nowhere near interchangeable. For one, the entire tail housing on the mk3 R154 is different from the Soarer variant. The W58 tripod base is smaller than the R154 so it won't bolt to the top of the trans, and there is no location on the mk3 R154 to bolt the lower arms of the tripod to (there's not even a blank spot you can drill, there's just nothing there). Also the W58 is shorter than the R154 so it's tripod extends farther back.

Also, to swap the w58 for the r154 you need to swap the front half of the driveshaft out, because of the length difference and also the yokes are different.

Awesome info!! Thanks for clearing that up. Now that I look at them I can see the subtle differences. Looks like I'll just stick with the W58's until I can afford the V160 swap. Tax return season... Time for Upgrades :D

·
Finally up and running!
3,997 Posts
At the moment im still using the NA/ A/T but the gearing is really high.... Cant wait to put the GS400 in.. and For a LSD you can use one for a AT TT Supra Diff
I would stick with the NA gears or find some TT Auto gears. Anything longer than that is going to really suck (picture a v160 without 1st gear and you have a r154).

·
Registered
197 Posts
OK, so here is where I'm at on my swap. Below is a pic of the stock MK4 W-58 trans mount with the stock MK3 Supra R-154 rubber mount. Surprisingly the bolt holes are very close to lining up and the trans mount sits straight below the rubber mount. So that is good news. I know that the trans is sitting too high. I really don't want to use spacers on the trans mount if I don't have to.

My question is, is there another rubber mount out there that will make the trans site a little lower? If not I'm thinking about making one by hacking up the factory rubber mount and using a little bit of welding and some rubber or poly to go in between the mount and the trans. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, I have not.

These are part numbers direct from the early version JZZ30 Soarer R154 transmission. The conversion that I am about to undertake has been done a number of times by the Australians. Neil Griffiths, the Australian Soarer guru, has directed me to these parts as he has done this very conversion of a MK3 Supra trans for 1JZ Soarer guys a number of times.
Blizzy I tried looking up these parts that you provide with the parts number but they come up none available. Is it still possible to get these parts anywhere?

·
Tree Hugger
798 Posts
Buy them used or have driftmotion extend it for you. Not really worth going OEM any more when they discontinued them.

·
Super Moderator
10,037 Posts
Blizzy I tried looking up these parts that you provide with the parts number but they come up none available. Is it still possible to get these parts anywhere?
Dude, Blizzy posted that like 12 years ago. Please be mindful of how old some of these threads are.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.